Why spend $250 on 3g when I can spend $150?

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I can go into my local parts store and buy an alternator for a 94 mustang rated at 130 amps for $152. What is the point for spending more? More amps = more money? If this is the case, I don't need more than 130.....at least not for 3 or 4 years.

The alt also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

• Sponsors (?)

If I recall correctly, I paid about $175 or $200 for the PA Performance kit (8 years ago or so). I don't know what it's going for now. At that time, it came with a brand new alternator. In my book, new alternators are worth the extra money...because rebuilds usually suck and need replacing sooner rather than later. Who needs the hassles?

Are you talking about a new alternator? I don't care about a warranty. The warranty won't save you from the hassle of being broken down or having to replace the damn thing.

It's all about knowing what you have running under the hood. If it's new, it probably wont break down. If it's rebuilt, it probably won't break down... And if it's used, well... that is a crap shoot.

But hey, I have been trying to buy a used alternator for a few months now. They just keep going for higher than I set my limit at.

srothfuss said:
If it's rebuilt, it probably won't break down... And if it's used, well... that is a crap shoot.
I have to politely disagree. I've had plenty of "lifetime warranty" rebuilt alternators, water pumps, etc. And, they never last as long as new parts.

If you want to use rebuilt parts, you can definitely save money. There is nothing wrong with that. But, my experience is that it's worth it to pay extra for a better quality part.

Enjoy!

soylentgreen said:
If I recall correctly, I paid about $175 or $200 for the PA Performance kit (8 years ago or so). I don't know what it's going for now. At that time, it came with a brand new alternator. In my book, new alternators are worth the extra money...because rebuilds usually suck and need replacing sooner rather than later. Who needs the hassles?

Are you talking about a new alternator? I don't care about a warranty. The warranty won't save you from the hassle of being broken down or having to replace the damn thing.

PA Performance look good too - several color choices...

I won't disagree that some rebuilt items do fail very quickly. TFI modules for example, nothing beats an OEM unit. But as far as an alternator goes... There are rebuild shops everywhere and a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty.

Not that I am trying to argue either. We just agree to disagree on how much it costs to get a 130A charging system.

I'm not too worried about having the alternator go out. I live right next to the parts store and the alt. is a very easy part to replace. I forgot the alt was a rebuild and that this would affect price. Is this the only difference besides different amps for different alt?

Most of the chain parts stores offer lifetime warrenties because most people dont keep cars for a lifetime.

I bought my mom an alt at AZ about 7 years ago. Ive replaced it 3 times under warrenty. On her Buick its a PITA to replace.

For less than 1/2 the money, its still a good deal if you do your own wrenching.

dec322 said:
I'm not too worried about having the alternator go out. I live right next to the parts store and the alt. is a very easy part to replace. I forgot the alt was a rebuild and that this would affect price. Is this the only difference besides different amps for different alt?

do u tow this parts store behind you when you're driving around?

1991vert said:
do u tow this parts store behind you when you're driving around?

:lol:

I drive my car a total of about an 8 mile radius from my house (and parts store). If the car breaks down I'm, at most, eight miles from the store. My mother-in-law, brother-in-law, mother, and about 8 other family members live in a 15 mile radius from my house. I work for my inlaws and there is a "work" truck for the business that can be used whenever I feel like using it. All this to say, I'll be alright.

Does the PA kit also come with wireing, connectors etc? Have you priced decient 4 gauge wire lately? Last time I did it was $2 or so a foot. If your putting in a 3G alt, your also going to need to upgrade the wireing. Maybe the PA kit has this included?

With the PA stuff you have the option of getting the larger wires.

The basic 3G is 199.00 I think
The power wire is 50.00 or around there

So for 250.00 you get a new alt and the power wire. But you will still need to upgrage the engine ground to make the think work properly.

alterstart in texas http://www.4alterstart.com/ give em a call and see what the prices are now. 3 yrs ago you could get a 3g 150 amp for 99.00

Looks like the stock 130 amp is 139.00 now but They have a 15% off coupn pop up add on their home page.

5.0Droptop said:
alterstart in texas http://www.4alterstart.com/ give em a call and see what the prices are now. 3 yrs ago you could get a 3g 150 amp for 99.00

Looks like the stock 130 amp is 139.00 now but They have a 15% off coupn pop up add on their home page.
I have the exact same alternator. 150 amp from Alterstart. Good stuff. Gave directions on how to cut the bracket, and wiring. Def. worth the money. Only problem with their warranty is you have to take off the alternator, send it out with a pre paid return label, and wait ATLEAST a week to get it back. For this reason, I have a back up junkyard 3g alt.

Nick

If you buy the alternator from the parts store, you will still have to get the the plug adapter and power wire. You are looking at 50 bucks for the power wire and 20 for the alternator plug upgrade anyway. My advice would be to get the kit. Believe me, it is worth the money (150 Amp upgrade for me).

The parts stores ell new ones too, not just rebuilt, but there is also a core charge i think. maybe thats why its cheaper. You can go to a junkyard and get the upgraded spade for next to nothing, and 4 guage wire from any audio store is like 3 bucks a foot.

The adapter plug is the key. I f you do not have it there is no way the alternator will work. the plugs on the fox must do not work, and the power plug (the big one ) is removed from the car and spliced into the new wiring. The alternator bracket mus also be modifed as well. The power wire is about 9ft long and MUST have a FUSE in line to protect the car's electrical system and the fuse must at least match the output of the alternator. Any one who knows about car audio, a 130 amp fuse is about 20 bucks on its own and it would have to have a cover over that 10-30 dollars, and don't forget all the eyelets needed to connect the system. Heat shielding is required (passes next to the radiator). You are looking at over 70 dollars just to build the power wire, and you would still need the new 3g conversion plug.