Why split?

The PCV goes to a T and splits, part to the lower middle of the upper manifold and the other to the back lower section of the plenum. Does anyone know why? Just curious.

Attachments

• PCV.jpg
    PCV.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure unless it was to somehow even the vacuum or something. All I can tell you for sure is the Mysteries of Vacuum Line Art of the 1980's. They would run vacuum lines to vacuum lines that would just end. Or two lines that would start and end at the same places. Who knows? :shrug:

I believe it's to recycle any oil that separates from the airstream that will settle in the box section of the intake.

As an engine cools, any oil in the air inside the intake will condense on the walls and collect in the bottom of the box. This directs it back into the airstream during engine operation, cleaning out the liquid and vaporizing it again.

With the large area of the box section, there may not be enough flow during engine operation to pickup the liquid and vaporize it. Draining it to the main inlet tube where there is increased flow allows it to be vaporized again for burning.

I believe it's to recycle any oil that separates from the airstream that will settle in the box section of the intake.

As an engine cools, any oil in the air inside the intake will condense on the walls and collect in the bottom of the box. This directs it back into the airstream during engine operation, cleaning out the liquid and vaporizing it again.

With the large area of the box section, there may not be enough flow during engine operation to pickup the liquid and vaporize it. Draining it to the main inlet tube where there is increased flow allows it to be vaporized again for burning.

I do beleive that is correct....

So the air/oil mixture flows through the PCV valve, through the T to the center of the manifold then through the boxed section, then through the runners into the cylinders. So all the oil that doesn't make it past the boxed section get cycled again through the T then into the center again? Makes sense to me. Thanks.

Is that an Explorer intake? Looks to be. My Explorer "P" engine was like that, my original 5.0 was not. The original PCV only has one hose to the intake.You can use that though.