Why Stroke it?

• Sponsors (?)

Also,89CopCoupe,you forgot to mention the mechanical advantage the stroker motor has over a smaller motor.

More stroke equals more leverage,which equals torque.And horsepower is a calculation of torque and rpm (I forgot the formula :bang: ).So you also get more horsepower along with more torque.And as mentioned earlier,higher piston speed will draw in more air/fuel charge and creates less turbulance inside the combustion chamber (at higher rpm's you want the pistons face to move qwikly away from the combustion chamber on the intake stroke).This is what lets you revv stroker motors as high or higher rpm's than a smaller motor.

Of course,this assumes that you have enough airflow to supply the stroker motors need at the rpm.

think of a stroker as if you were trying to get a really stuborn bolt off with a wrench...you cant get it with just the wrench so you slip a cheater pipe over the wrench...it gives you more leverage (torque) to get the job done

bluray said:
Yikes, sorry sorry! There are lots of opinions going around here.

So then there would be increased power and torque at the lower and higher rpm, but fuel consumtion would still increase reducing milage. That sound right?

Yes of course,fuel=power.
Remember that...

giddyup306 said:
Please tell me how a stroker motor would create more vacuum. However if you ment volume I would agree. :nice:

Under constant variables for comparison, a stroker will create more vacuum due to the increased cylinder volume ... so agree with me yes or no ... it "ments" no difference. :stick:

Will a 302 with 'stock stuff' create a stronger vacuum signal than a 347 with 'huge stuff' ... yes.

As a former owner of a 342 (stock bore) in an SN95 here is my .02 cents.

The heavier sn95 needs the extra low end torque of the 342 for sure. However there are a few drawbacks to the SN95.

First the SN95 computer will need a chip burnt for it or some other type of tuning help. The reason is the load base nature of the sn95 EEC units. Because the 347 will take in aprox. 13% more air than the 302 its programed for the EEC will think the engine is under more load than it is and put in more timing. Until I figured this out I constantly had pinging problems.

Second the elbow setup of an sn95 cuts back on the intakes flow over a fox setup. This will make it harder to pull in the upper rpms.

The biggest problem most people have (myself included) is a 347 needs a larger intake and head than a 306 period. I was running a GT40 and Edelbrock performer heads and it was all done in by 5500. While I never had it dynoed Rick Anderson told me that my combo probably peaked around 4500-4800 rpm, which I believe from driving it.

If I was to do it again I would say AFR185s and a Holly system max are the smallest parts to go with a 347 if you want to play in upper rpms.

You can still have a lot of fun as a daily driver with "smaller" parts, but it just won;t pull the rpms.

My 95 with an AODE, 2800pi converter, 3.27 gears ran 12.80s just leaving it in drive and letting it shift itself around 5000 rpm.

So it all comes down to what you want, but I'd go woth more cubes in the heavy sn95 for sure. You'll just need to get the right top half to make it do what you want it to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you stroke a stock motor to say a 331 you will need bigger/better breathing cylinder heads, Intake, possible cam, injectors, MAF, fuel pump, not to mention supporting stroker hardware....crankshaft, machine work, pistons, pushrods....ect.

So for the amount of money you have into it you can buy a 4,000 turbo kit and strap it to your stock 302 and beat just about any NA based 302 stroker.

IS anybody making 490 lbs of TQ with any N/A 302 based stroker.....for under 4k dollars? Just my 2 cents.

http://www.cartech.net/fordtest.htm

So really why stroke it?

mfewtrail said:
It's all about what you want. If everybody/everything were the same, we would live in a boring world. :nice:

Yeah I know.....I'm just trying to put a money to money aspect into prespective. It all depends on what's the purpose of your car. Drag racer, Road racer, everyday driver, strictly street, ect. Plus all the rules if your into drag racing and autoX to avid by.

Stroker gives you better low end torque. The force of the piston has a longer distance to travel at a RPM giving it more leverage to push the crank. This especially lends itself to the low RPMS. For a light car and good traction you are set.
Kevin

Doh. Sorry missed a whole page already explained...