Why the F wont my AOD cross member bolt up??? Need help ASAP!

Notchbackdrew

Mar 21, 2006
I got my AOD bolted on, everythings good to go. I went to bolt on my cross member and I cant get it to bolt on for anything. First of all are the humps facing down or up? Second, are crossmembers universal for all AOD transmissions? I bought this AOD from another fella who said he unbolted it from his mustang, so I figure the cross member would bolt up..

Can someone please help me out? It has a C overdrive servo if that tells ya anything as to what make and model it is...but the AOD I took out 2 weeks ago had a C servo also..Could it possibly be the tailshafts are different?

I bolted up the driveshaft and it seems to fit fine...Id say a good 3 inches of the shaft is sticking out of the yoke..is that supposed to be like that? What gives????:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I could be wrong but aren't the tailshaft lengths different on the AODs from the bigger cars. Like maybe the Town Cars and the T-Birds. Check with Performance Automatics website for specs and maybe that will help.

The tail shaft may be longer,but the mounting holes on the tranny for the crossmember are the same.The "humps" should be pointing up.If it's not quite lining up,perhaps you have to turn it around (driver's side to passenger side).The T-Bird cross member (mine is an '88) is the same as a Mustang.

well the thing is my cross member bolted up no prob with the AOD that was previously in it.. now it wont bolt in for squat.

It seems that I majically swapped out X members. I mean the alignment holes on the cross member are a good 3 inches to the right of the bolt holes on this bushing you bolt onto the tranny, and the trannys centered!!!

Im just amazed as to how this cross member could be so far off! Ive tryed every witch way I think, but Ill go out there tommorow and see if I cant find another way.

Quick que, do AOD's have 2 humps on the cross member or only 1? Mine has 2.

Thanks guys!

There are several tranny crossmembers for these cars.

My 79 v8 car had the single hump style with the short bushing shells. This was used with engines that originally had single exhaust, like 4, six and early V8 cars. I used the SVO double hump type on the 82. Both will bolt in with a C4.

The humps go up, because they are there to provide exhaust clearance underneath.

Swap it by turning 180, it should bolt up and the trans rear mount holes or slots should line up in the center. Overall, I don't thing the engine and trans are exactly centered, but it all should fit.

Worst case, you may have to grind the welds off the bushing shells and slide the crossmember forward or backwards. Its meant to adapt to different length trannys. Should not have a left/right problem at all.

And, yes, there are two different length AOD tail shafts. Lincolns, I believe, got longer ones than Mustangs. I think Crown Vics got short or normal ones. I have a Crown Vic unit, and the mounting bolts are about 1 1/2 in farther back than a C4 would be.