Why the heck is my car so slow?

• Sponsors (?)

My car was def. faster with no mufflers. After I put the new ones on I was like dame this sucks.

Squarlic - A stock 88 auto compared to a 5 speed 2004 is gonna feel like a turd. Get 4.30's and see what happens. Just my 2 cents.

A fox 5 speed is a second faster than an auto. stock for stock. You can make an AOD rip a 5spd with some $$$.

will1992 said:
get a catback exhaust if you dont have mufflers, like i said before i had no mufflers just a stock h pipe=slow.flowmasters=fast, it is all about backpressure :)

I had stright long tube headers, It sounded so wicked. The LS1's stayed far far away from me at that time although they could have smoked me anytime. And at night when I power shifted my friends said they saw huge flames coming out from under the car. After the muffler and off-road H pipe it slowed me down. But I was kinda expecting that.

TrophyHead said:
I had stright long tube headers, It sounded so wicked. The LS1's stayed far far away from me at that time although they could have smoked me anytime. And at night when I power shifted my friends said they saw huge flames coming out from under the car. After the muffler and off-road H pipe it slowed me down. But I was kinda expecting that.

oh, well youre probably right i have never straight piped my car so i wouldnt know.
what kind of headers did you have
i have started my car w/ just stock headers and it sounded like sh@t it probably wouldve been faster but i didnt want to drive it bc i didnt want to **** up nything on the fire wall

sgarlic,
come to think of it i had a friend who had his timing set on retard i told him to put it on 12 deg btdc and his car was faster
you should check your timing

FWIW, my 1st 5.0 gave me the same symptoms. I took it for a first test drive and thought "wow, this car sucks. Every other 5.0 I've been in is way faster."
I bought it anywa, and drove w/ it like that until the fuel pump finally died. I put in a new one and BAM!
I was ****zitting my pants!!!!!
(To my standards now, it's not fast, but it was every bit as fast as a bone stock AOD could've been expected to be)
It was, by the way, a bone stock powered and geared AOD.
Think about it...

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I'll check out the timing tomorrow.. still not sure on the muffler situation.. but flows have been in the back of my mind for a while.. we'll see.

do the catback, adding tailpipes to my car improved torque greatly, also do a complete tune up and check all the small stuff (air filter, oil, trans fluid, vacuum lines, timing, plugs, etc.)