Why wont an 89 vert rear seat fit into my 91 vert?

TheBocSez

Feb 3, 2004
Converse, TX
I recently changed the color of the interior of my 91 LX Vert from red to Blk/Gray :) . I bought a set of front and rear seats from an 89 vert. Now that I am done, all I have to do is put in the rear seats and the bottom cushion wont fit!!! :mad: I no longer have my 91 seat, but from what I can remember, they look the same with the exception of the 89 missing the oval cut outs for the seatbelt receivers. Other than that, I dont know what the problem is. It physically fits in the space, it just wont snap down into place and seat. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I posted this on the corral also and was told that in 1990, Ford went with a different mounting bracket for the rear seats. My 91 has a 2 piece tubular set up that looks like 2 horseshoes. I guess the pre 90's look different and thats what I need. Im probably gonna hit a junk yard and see if I can find something. Thanks for the reply.

Don't know about the verts for sure, but the other cars have a welded on bracket that catches the edge of the pre 90 seats and holds them down. Look at the seat bottoms and you will see the exposed wire on each side of the front. The floors have a "hook" that holds the wire support in place.

Good luck!

You guys are right. 90+ is a complete diff design, coupe/hatch/vert than 79-89 rear seats. It's a sort of u shaped bracket in 90+ as mentioned. Everything is different. 90+ has a stud mounted through the floorpan for the belts, where pre 90 has a male bolt that threads into the floorpan, + the location is different. The u bracket bolts down with the seatbelt stud in the floorpan. As a result, the 90 seats have no metal reinforcements in them for passenger weight. the 79-89 seat bottoms have metal reinforcements built into the seat bottom foam, and are designed to hold your weight. These seatbottoms in the older cars simply snap into a clip that's in the pre 90 cars, but are no longer in the 90+ cars. you've figured out there's no way to use the seat you have. Sell it to someone else, and keep hunting for the seat you need, best of luck!

Now that I think of it, the seat in my 91 is different than the seat on my 89. The 89 is actually harder to pull out than the 91, but it holds better. When I first read the post, I was thinking of the interior design. I have heard that the plastic quarter panel liners in 87-89(90?) convertibles were different because of the location of the speakers. Never owned or worked on a convertible for those years so I don't know for sure.

5.0 Nostalgia said:
Now that I think of it, the seat in my 91 is different than the seat on my 89. The 89 is actually harder to pull out than the 91, but it holds better. When I first read the post, I was thinking of the interior design. I have heard that the plastic quarter panel liners in 87-89(90?) convertibles were different because of the location of the speakers. Never owned or worked on a convertible for those years so I don't know for sure.

83 vert panels were specific to that year, a two piece design, hower, it'll fit 84-89, which are the same, a one piece style. (83 had black)

the ENTIRE seatbelt design changed in 90, and the fronts now are completely different, connected by some long bracket, etc, so even the rear 1/4 panels are so diff in 90 they can't be used in 83-89 cars. This is why swapping black int into a pre 90 vert is almost impossible, cause most of the 90 vert stuff just won't work. FYi, I have a solution. 83 verts came with black interior, and had a black rear seat that's a direct bolt in to 84-89 cars, as well as the rear 1/4 in black for 83 will work (have to cut in back for pw) 79-83 hatch/notch/vert rear seatbelts will all work. For the front seatbelts, you have to have 83 specific seatbelt brackets, and then you can use 79-83 front black belts in your 84-89 vert. Yes, my bro and I have spent incredible amounts of time detailing the difference in interior between all year fox's.

Wow, Thanks for all the great info. Man that sux, this is a nice rear seat for a vert. Hate to have to get rid of it but I guess I dont have a choice. Being fairly new to mustangs, I have learned a lot through trial and error and I guess Ill just have to chalk this one up there also. I know that there is a different color gray in the 91-92 (titanium) and 93 (opal) will the 90 be smoke gray like like the seats I have from the 89? It would really suck if I had to change all of the seats again. I would just do a rear seat delete but with kids, I dont think thats gonna be an option right now. Thanks again.

Sorry, but 90-92 are the same Titanium color, and to top it all off, I assume you have the tweed seats form the 89. The seats from a 90-92 are not only a slightly different color, but the fabric in the center part of the seats is different from the 87-89 to the 90-92 seats. The newer ones don't have the plaid or striped pattern.

I would think you could manage to figure out a way to mount the 89 seats in your 91. The bracket is only there to hold the seat in place. You could probably bolt down a piece of flat iron in the right place to fit over the edge of the seat bottom wire to hold it down, and then tuck the carpet in around it to hold it in place. Fasten the iron bracket in the back and leave the front open to insert the seat bottom frame. You might even screw it down in front of the frame to make sure it does not move.

I have a similar problem, fastening my 2002 rear seats into my 87. Right now they are just sitting there, and my kids put on the belts to hold them in place. Haven't had a problem, but I would like to have a more permanent solution.

I was going to take some pics of the stock bracket and my old seat.... but my wife has the digi camera. Maybe I can take some later.

Thomas

Here is a pic of the bracket on the floor. The seat mounts by pushing the wire frame behind the front part of the bracket and down, so it sits between the two raised parts. Hopefully you can mount it someway.

seatbracket.jpg

Thanks for the pic. It does help a lot. I may be able to come up with something. Wish I would have done more research before I bought the seats. Seems like the best route to go may be fabrication after all. Ill have to look and see what I can come up with. Thanks!!