Why wont my car idle right?

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
Last year I put a new motor in my car with an E303 cam in it and I have never been able to get a consistent idle. When the car is cold it idles really nice and has a nice lope to it. But when it warms up, it sounds like it has a stock cam in it, no lope at all. I dont know what the deal is. It also never wants to idle at the same place all the time, sometimes 900, sometimes 750. I'm pretty sure its not the IAC since I changed that a couple of months before the new motor. My timing is set at 14 degrees, I was thinking about going to 15 or 16 degrees.
Thanks,
Jesse

• Sponsors (?)

Its not surging, it just doesnt have an idle it sticks to all the time. I'll start it up, idle is great, the cars warms up an then it'll ilde at 1000, then go down the road and itll idle at 800, then itll idle at like 950. Its just all over the place. It doesnt even sound like my car has a cam sometimes.

MAC'n89Blckstng said:
Its not surging, it just doesnt have an idle it sticks to all the time. I'll start it up, idle is great, the cars warms up an then it'll ilde at 1000, then go down the road and itll idle at 800, then itll idle at like 950. Its just all over the place. It doesnt even sound like my car has a cam sometimes.
The title "Help me create the Surging Idle Checklist" is a catch all phrase for the idle problems common to 5.0 Mustangs. There are a lot of idle issues and answers in the sticky. The first post in the sticky has almost all the details you need.