Why would anybody drive a new Stang in road salt...

JDS68Stang

Sep 3, 2007
New York State
Was driving in a bad storm tonight, roads all ice and slush and see this guy in what I believe was an 06 Mustang vert trying to gain a little traction to get on the highway from his stop sign:rlaugh:
Why spend all that money on a nice car and then drive it thru what I would consider the same as spraying acid all under your car (road salt):shrug: That stuff you can't reach to get it all washed off and their spraying real heavy here lately.

Some people just have no respect for thier Stangs:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

I've driven many a mustang year round, not all of them beaters either. As for driving a new one in the winter, 1 - like Skywalker said, they may not have a choice (it might be their only car) and 2 - If I had a new one, I'd drive it for several reasons but mostly because I'm not going to pay insurance on a beater to drive and pay for full coverage on a vehicle under lein to set parked for months. If I was making upwards of 6 figures that would be an option but so far that hasn't been the case. Also, unlike our old cars most new cars are excesively rustproofed underneath, its everywhere.

JD, what part of the BLUE FUZZY state are you in? My family (less me, I was born later) came out from Brockport in late 1959 in my Pop's '58 Ford.

Later ('61) my brother took that already-rusty Ford to UofA in Tucson. Apparently, when he came back for Christmas just before I was born; the rust had won and it came back re-bodied as a '59 Merc. Just the body.... gotta love those old "real-framed" cars. :p

EDIT: Because I just thought of something... Obviously, we don't salt our roads out here - no reason (what's ice???). However when I was a kid; "running the beaches" down in El Golfo de California was the biggest reason for owning a 4x4 around here. Beach sand is extremely salty; especially if you like to run along the water's edge at low tide. The solution was obvious to anybody who would hit a do-it-yourself car wash on Monday afternoon - big crusty white cakes all around the "pressure washer" bays from the night (or morning) before.

I'm gonna get a beater when I move up North - an old Plymouth Omni or something similarly craptacular. Not because I can't handle a RWD in snow (well...considering I've never driven in snow, maybe I shouldn't say that), but because of the road salt. I was actually still surprised anybody still used salt...seems archaic to me...but this car is too valuable both monetarily and sentimentally to expose it to that. If not for the road salt, I'd get a Posi rear end and happily drive it in the snow.

i drive my stang year round. i bought it as a daily driver, not a show car. DDs are maent to get beat up my road debris. once the car is retired and is on weekend only duty, it will get a makeover. just because it is a stasng does not mean it should not be driven in bad weather. take care of what you have and dont make it a beater. i would never drive any of my old cars in the winter, even if they are worth less than half of what my stang is worth. you cant find parts for the older cars. new car parts are readily available. i do plan on keeping this car for as long as i possibly can, but i will drive it and enjoy it everyday of the year.

i have driven my car every winter since 04/05. it has never left me stranded or stuck. you cant say the same for a $500 beater. its nice to KNOW that your car will start on those cold winter mornings. you will need to take all the preventative measures to prevent rust, but it is inevitable. rust will eventually find its way to your car unless it is in a bubble.

drive it and be proud. learn how to handle the snow in a RWD and it is nothing to drive in the snow. just watch out for the crazy people that think they are invincible.

I not driving my 07 GT this winter or anyother if I can help it. For one, there not that good in snow. The other reason would be, that every stang ever made becomes a collectors item in time, even the mustang II. I look at my stang as an investment. If I knowed now what I didn't know then, I would of never sold my 66, 67, 68 or 69, I've had 5 stangs from the 60's and 1 74 mustang II. I had 2 67's if your adding up my list. The most valuble one in my opinion, was my 68 Gt fastback with the 428 cj and 4-speed. It's the only 68 I ever saw with the 428, most were 390's. I saw a 68 FB GT with the 428 on ebay acouple of years ago and the highest bid was 40,000. I sold mine in 79 for 1,800, Hind site is 20/20.

I've driven many a mustang year round, not all of them beaters either. As for driving a new one in the winter, 1 - like Skywalker said, they may not have a choice (it might be their only car) and 2 - If I had a new one, I'd drive it for several reasons but mostly because I'm not going to pay insurance on a beater to drive and pay for full coverage on a vehicle under lein to set parked for months. If I was making upwards of 6 figures that would be an option but so far that hasn't been the case. Also, unlike our old cars most new cars are excesively rustproofed underneath, its everywhere.

In N.Y. at least, not sure if you can do this in other states, you can keep the plates on and have the insurance cancelled (put on hold) for 6 months while your new car is stored for winter. A beater can be bought cheap and a decent liability only plan runs me about $225.00 a year. I run a 95 chevy van right now I picked up for $500. years ago for winters and I don't make anywhere near 6 figures.

I understand if they are limited to one parking spot at an apartment complex or something only owning one car but if they have the option and extra parking space I just can't see destroying the new car, that rock salt is very nasty stuff.

I've seen the difference in the PA cars downstate from us where they don't use salt and the N.Y. cars that do, thats when you can really see the damage that salt can do. Anyway, just felt sorry for that guy there trying to drive that stang on a road that was a sheet of ice tryin to get home, I know for certain he's thinking now of getting a beater car after that night.

JD, what part of the BLUE FUZZY state are you in? My family (less me, I was born later) came out from Brockport in late 1959 in my Pop's '58 Ford.

EDIT: .........Beach sand is extremely salty; especially if you like to run along the water's edge at low tide. The solution was obvious to anybody who would hit a do-it-yourself car wash on Monday afternoon - big crusty white cakes all around the "pressure washer" bays from the night (or morning) before.

Blue Fuzzy state, never heard that one before,lol I'm in Binghamton, just below Syracuse. Where is Brockport near, haven't heard of it, near NYC?

Only problem here doing that (pressure washer), first off its freezing cold, you get wet getting down to spray the undersides, then you drive off right back into the same stuff on the road. In a nutshell, winter sucks trying to get that salt off.

The good part is there now making cars that has rust pervenitives from the factory, they last alot longer than they use to. In the 70's you wouldn't even get the car paid off before it was rusted out Yeah I can understand some people can't afford 2 cars and what not. The mustang sure isn't the best car for winter driving, thats a given.

A guy I used to work with had a little Mitsubishi thingey and last winter he traded it in on an 06 mustang GT (actually, he got a 6 cyl first, then regretted not getting the v8, so he traded up to a v8 after about a month). Everyone thought he was nuts for doing it in the winter, but he made it though okay (he only lives about a mile from work, though). I don't work with him any more, but I do see him around town occasionally and this winter he actually bought a little beater car to drive.

I'm driving my 67 this winter, but if the roads get bad, my parents have a 2000 Cherokee and an 03 Blazer that I can borrow if I have to. And I'm hoping to get my own place this summer and when I do, one of the first things I'll have to do is get a 2nd vehicle (I'm thinking a little 4x4 Ranger, or Dakota, or something along those lines, definitely 4x4, though).

-Chelle

We have 7 cars at the house, 1 of which is my mother's DD, an 08 Mustang Vert.

She drives it every day and will continue to do so no matter the conditions. She bought it to be driven, not to sit in the driveway. It's not a collector's item now, and I highly doubt it ever will be. I would much rather drive around a new car than buy some junk POS to drive around in the winter. Didn't pay all that money for the good stereo and nice seats so it can sit and be wasted.

Shelby GT500? Possibly a different story, but not likely.

I won't drive my '70 because I have another car and my newer car is more comfortable. That and the Hoosiers don't handle too well.

back in 2003 I bought my v6 to drive year around.seeing it in person on the assembly line put a big nix into that!So I bought a stolen recovered 2000 v6 (as a winter beater) from the insurance auction here in Canada.It was pretty squirely until I realised the traction assist system makes deep snow driving worst (o.k. on ice but useless in snow more than a fewinches deep). Add four bridgestonwe blizzaks and that could would rally race through the snow!But I felt bad putting a mustang through the salt season and sold it to my best bud.Now I drive a 1997 v8 awd explorer in the winter it's drives like a cat on carpet through the snow and the 2003 sleeps with it's stable mates 68 fastback,67 coupe and soon 67 rag top