WIDE TIRES....Is there a SAFE way to run wheel spacers???

I dont know if anyone is still looking at this post but i was looking for some help. I've got a 04 GT with 17x10.5's with 315's and a 94 cobra with 18x10's with 275's. I'm gonna sell the 04 and i wanna use the 94 cobra as a weekend / track day car. I was planning on switching the wheels because i like the wider 17's. I went to put them on and the wide 315 ran into the right rear control arm ( i think ) but just barely, i was still able to bolt it up, but i'm sure it'll rub if i started driving. I want some help here, i really want those wheels and i'm open to spacers, but it is going to be driven hard i dont want anything dangerous, but the extra traction would be helpfull. I'm not too concerned with the wheels sticking out with 1" spacers if those are the best quality. I see Hub centric ones are 5mm which i think would be a problem with the above mentioned suspension shifting. So i guess its just a question if 25mm hub centric spacers would be safe for doing track days. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Watch this video at around 4 minutes and 10 seconds. Pay attention to the rear tire and how it moves in and out of the rear wheel wells during cornering. This is the inherent nature of the stock style suspension setup. There was another video of this car that has been removed that showed this to be much worse when he had the stock 100K+ mile suspension on the car.

BTW- I like this car too!

If anyone else wants to see how a stock rear end moves due to the compliance and lack of lateral control offered by the stock designed system watch this video around the 4:10 mark.

YouTube - 11/9/2008 Philly SCCA Autocross at Boeing

:jaw: wow that is a scary thought.