wide tires/suspension ?

sgarlic

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2001
Hey fellas.

My buddy who bought my old '88 is having an issue and asked me to post for you guys to help with.

He did the 5 lug conversion on the rear over the weekend, basically just bought 5 lug axles and 5 lug drums. Anyway, he mounted 15x7's (might be 15x8) with 225/60R15's on it. They stick out about an inch from the fenderwells.. I'm guessing because of the weird wheel backspacing. Apparently the thing is lowered (not by me) and now when he drives around and hits a bump, it rubs on the tire. There's only about an inch clearance between the top of the tire and the fenderwell, and since it sticks out so much, rolling the fender probably wouldn't even fix the problem.

He's basically wondering if there's some sort of suspension he can put on to make the rear so stiff that it won't bounce as much. If not, what are his other options (besides changing wheels or removing the lowering springs.) I know I've seen other 5.0's with not much room between the tire and fenderwell, but not bouncing much.

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Its possiable to go alot wider. I would guess its the backspacing on the wheels. Im running 275/45/17's w/ the cobra R's all around and I don't get any probloms with the slight fender roll that i had done.