Wideband O2 sensor

xexitenglishx

Jun 27, 2004
Wideband O2 sensor a few questions

When you install a wideband sensor can it just replace one of the 2 o2 sensors in our cars or does there have to be a new hole drilled and welded? Also what are some good wideband kit prices. Im looking at the AEM Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO Controller what do i have to do to enable it to datalog. Is that a good one to get? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You have to drill a hole and weld in the new bung which should be supplied in the kit. The basic AEM kit does not datalog to my knowledge. Its just a gauge and a sensor. There might be another AEM kit thats more expensive that'll datalog.

xexitenglishx said:
But i def have to make a new hole.. The computer cant take the reading off the wideband and i can splice it to the meter?
The computer in your stang doesn't know about wideband O2 sensors. It only recognizes the narrow band O2 sensors that are part of the orginal Ford design.

There are a few good options for wideband 02 kits, I have the innovative lm-1 with the rpm converter kit for my Supra. You can hook it up to a laptop and datalog with it...I believe it is around 429.00. Check out LM-1. It would be best to leave the stock O2 sensors in and just weld on the bung that comes with the kit. The wideband O2 sensor is expensive so you don't want to be using it at all times so you can plug the hole when you are not tuning(also comes with a plug for the bung). Later

You dont have to drill a new hole....most widebands will have outputs for an EMS or gauge or whatever. I know with my LM-1 you just use one of the outputs to be a regular "narrowband" and run that to the computer.

mikeflys1 said:
You dont have to drill a new hole....most widebands will have outputs for an EMS or gauge or whatever. I know with my LM-1 you just use one of the outputs to be a regular "narrowband" and run that to the computer.

I understand that, but why would you be using the wideband at all times unless you were forced induction?...wideband 02 sensors are pricey, you don't want to be using it all the time...

I went with PLX. The 300 model issues a wideband signal to a digital readout and also sends a narrowband signal to your comp. Insteaf of drilling a new bung- it replacing one of your 02 sensors totally. With a blower I will utilize it permanently. Eventually I will datalog with an EMS and use this 5 volt input to log the af ratio. GOOD LUCK and check out PLX it is another alternative to the LM1

I am N/A presently, but stepping up to a single turbo (Hellion or HP) so I bought a wideband...not to mention I can use it to tune the car N/A with the AFM PMS I just bought.

Anyway, assuming I didn't use one of the stock bungs, where would be the best place to put a new one? Don't know if having it in one of the pipes makes it hard to tell how I am running (rich/lean) on the other 4 cyl. The sensor is the Innovate LM-1...which from what I read above, will allow running a narrowband readout to the ECU, so unless someone has a good idea as to where to run it to get reading on each set of cyl, I will just use stock bung.