widebands: decisons, decisions

jerry S

Sep 3, 2003
52.22N 5.12E
The innovate LM-2 comes the most recommended but it has a lot of extra features that fulfill no function on my 1969 mustang (OBD connection, by way of example) and which add cost. All I want is a dual sensor wideband so I can tune my car perfectly and keep it that way. FAST makes a dual sensor wideband and it is about $140 less than the LM-2. I am very close to making a decision. Do any of y'alls have any informed opinions on the matter?

• Sponsors (?)

I would look at one that has data logging capability. The fast will not do that. IMO dual sensors is not that important. You could get an extra bung and move it to compare, but I doubt there will be much if any difference. RPM, TPS and MAP sensors will be good info for tuning. Logging will allow you to know what the driving conditions are as well as the A/F ratio. Altronics makes a nice one that has the capability of 2 sensors. It is a little pricey when you add the second sensor.

The LC-1 kits come with software, though I'm not sure what all you can do with it.

I'm a little spoiled, though. The engine management system I have on my Subaru has its own logging capabilities.

I assum you still have the RPM air gap thats listed in the link in your sig? If you have a dual plane manifold then one sensor in one header will be fine.

With a dual plane, 2 cylinders on each bank share 1 half of the carb. the other 2 cylinders of each bank will draw off the other half of the carb. So just using 1 sensor in 1 of your headers will actually measure from both halfs of the carb.

And if you really want to double check it all then for a extra 5 minutes you can just swap it over to the other side with a extra bung. Then will save you a lot on having to buy another sensor.

Hi I have the LM1 and it works fine, with abnormalities. I like the XD 16 unit with it's flexibility. I run a Performer RPM and as noted it's good with one bung. I do like the data logging and with the accessory lead, I can run the LM! LIKE A XD 16.
So, although, a little more, it does do a little more!

I have had both Fast & a LM-2. The Fast does datalog but only AFR. You have to buy a $130 kit to record RPM. I sold the Fast and bought the LM-2 for more versatility. I now datalog AFR, RPM & Vacuum. It also is a OBDII code reader. I have had some trouble with the LM-2 but they have helped me by email remedy the situation.