Widening Stock Ponies

ricer-roni

Aug 2, 2004
Well i was going for the true sleeper look with my Mustang, and was hoping to use the stock pony rims that came on them and possibly widening them to 16x10 in the rear and runing a 315 tire. Will this have any sort of clerance issues in the back?

• Sponsors (?)

Say goodbye to the quad shocks too (if you haven't already)....but I think that your idea of a sleeper is going to go out the window. 315's are going to be pretty tough to make "unnoticeable" compared to the 225/55/16's that are normally mounted on them. I’d try it to a set of 10-holes first….nobody notices them.

well maybe not total sleeper, but still stock looking wheels, just fronts narrowed, backs widened. Also i forgot to ask this is my last post, but what kinda work would have to be done to massage a pair of 315's in the back. What would have to happen with the backspacing. Thanks for the help.

Yeah good luck finding a 315 tire in a 16. You're probably used to hearing guys talk about their 315s on 17 inch wheels....most likely a 315/35/17...tire selection for 16 is very limited. If you really wanted the sleeper look...get some 10 holes widened....much bigger tire selection for 15's.

Oh and to my knowledge widening the wheel doesn't usually have to deal with backspacing. All they do is add the extra inches on the inner part, so you won't have to worry about your wheels sticking out too far, you just have to make room on the inside....they'll still be the same in positioning to the wheel well lip.

The inner part is where the problem is. You're talking about a 315mm wide tire, almost 100mm wider than stock. It would need to move closer to the wheel lip to fit, or need to be mini tubbed. The lip may have to be rolled, but the poney's are pretty deep in the well so they should be able to come out an inch. That's a lot of material to add to the hub, or a big wheel spacer to be running around with. Makes me nervous. Would look pretty sweet though...

My Mustang is a 93 GT, i was really hoping to stick with the stock ponies i have now and stockton wheels can actually do something that will make a 16 inch wheel be able to use 17 inch tires, so i may do that. I really wanted pony rims and not the 10 holes. 93 Teal Terror, where can i get a set of 17inch ponies?

A 315 is huge, there's NO way you're gonna pass as a sleeper with a tire that size out back, not even if you're driving a Toyota Prius. I've got 265/50/15s on my Ten Holes and EVERYBODY notices them. Unless someone is viewing my car from the side or front, it doesnt look sleeper at all.

Ok maybe sleeper was the wrong thing to say. What i ment is stock appearing from the sides and thats it. When you pull up to someone they don't see the back of your tire. I love the stock look of my 93 gt, but i really want a fat tire out back.