Widest rims possible in the rear of a fox???!!!

Okay guys this has probally been posted before but cant find anything under the search. So I have 84 fox vert. I am going to do the 5 lug conversion, and disk converstion on the rear. It has th quadshock rear and my quesstion is can I get a 17x10.5 rim under the rear with out rubbing the rear. most of the 10.5 inch rims have a 24mm back space so has any one done this with the quad shock. also beging that I have to get new axle shafts any way I can run either the stock lenght axles or I can get the 94-95 axeles that are a little wider like 3/4 of and inch each side if I remeber right. If not can I at least fit a 9 inch rim.

• Sponsors (?)

I am putting 18x10's with 24mm offset on my car I am going to use stock length ranger axles, my fender lips are already rolled and the quadshocks have been removed, It is definitly possible to fit those wheels many people have done it, there are slew of threads over on corral with information how to fit them and the steps people took. Good luck

Kabuki_notch said:
I am putting 18x10's with 24mm offset on my car I am going to use stock length ranger axles, my fender lips are already rolled and the quadshocks have been removed, It is definitly possible to fit those wheels many people have done it, there are slew of threads over on corral with information how to fit them and the steps people took. Good luck

Thanks So they will fit with the stock ranger axles but I have to remove the quadshock. I have heard that the quad shock helps with wheel hop.

I would think 10" is gonna be the widest you can do..... Mob is running a 10" rim with I think 6" backspacing which seems to work perfect....anything else larger or of different backspacing ur gonna have to do some fender modifications. 9" width seems to be the best width for the rear on the fox....the front is a different story

CAMAROEATER01 said:
I would think 10" is gonna be the widest you can do..... Mob is running a 10" rim with I think 6" backspacing which seems to work perfect....anything else larger or of different backspacing ur gonna have to do some fender modifications. 9" width seems to be the best width for the rear on the fox....the front is a different story
Thats only his slicks. Otherwise he runs 17x9

Okay thanks for the help so what I figure is I can just allways get the 10.5 with 27 mm backspacing and just do a trial run and see if the wheel fits other wise I will go with the 9 inch rim But does anyone have pics of there fox with cabra r deep dish or any other deep dish on the fox so I can get a idea of what they look like also any other pics of wheels on foxes would be great. Just to het some Ideas.

tunedin302 said:
The fact that you said this makes me respectfully suggest that you learn a little more about wheels, backspacing, offset, tires, and fox clearances before you dive into the project.

Well I am pretty sure that back spacing is the distance from the mounting flange to the outter most lip of the back side of the wheel offset is were the mounting flange is located in the rim and its distance from the center point and of course the 10.5" is the width of the wheel. So begin that I only know these things I want to find out more info from people who have put widder rims on there stang and weather they actually fit. So I dont have the problem when I dive into the progect.

wicked84gt350 said:
Well I am pretty sure that back spacing is the distance from the mounting flange to the outter most lip of the back side of the wheel offset is were the mounting flange is located in the rim and its distance from the center point and of course the 10.5" is the width of the wheel.

wicked84gt350 said:
10.5 with 27 mm backspacing

So then you know the rim has a 27mm OFFSET not backspace. You can use the offset to figure out the backspace if need be. If your rim does in fact have a 27mm backspace then that translates into a 1.0637999999999998" backspace. So would you have almost 9.5" from the mounting flange to the front of the rim.

tunedin302 said:
So then you know the rim has a 27mm OFFSET not backspace. You can use the offset to figure out the backspace if need be. If your rim does in fact have a 27mm backspace then that translates into a 1.0637999999999998" backspace. So would you have almost 9.5" from the mounting flange to the front of the rim.

Well I amde a mistake and read the wrong description (I been looking into a lot of rims) and you were right it was the offset read about back space some were else. but here is a link to the rims I was thinking of: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-9...QcategoryZ43957QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tunedin302 said:
What tires were you going to run on the rear? How is the car converted to 5 lug? What length axles? What rear suspension do you have? Is it a 1984?

Well the car will be converted to 5 lug when I do the brakes and suspention. The front is just a factor of changing rotors the rear is a 7.5" and I will run either ranger axles or 8.8" axles the 8.8 are wider than the 7.5 but that my help me we will see. I may also have to take the quadshock off which I dont real want to do because it helps with wheel hop. The tires will probally be 255 and yes it is a 84 gt350 convertable if that helps by the way thanks for the help. The 7.5 will stay in there untill it blows its center chunk.

wicked84gt350 said:
The tires will probally be 255 and yes it is a 84 gt350 convertable if that helps by the way thanks for the help. The 7.5 will stay in there untill it blows its center chunk.

I would just suggest that you decide exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish. A 10.5" rims is way too wide for a 255 tire. You should be running more like a 295 or 315 for a 10.5 rim. And as for the quad shock, just get some good control arms and kiss the quad goodbye.

tunedin302 said:
I would just suggest that you decide exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish. A 10.5" rims is way too wide for a 255 tire. You should be running more like a 295 or 315 for a 10.5 rim. And as for the quad shock, just get some good control arms and kiss the quad goodbye.

I know that a 255 sounds small on a 10.5 inch rim but It can work I just have to run a 55-60 side wall. I think I might be able to put a 295-305 tire but I am not sure. I will most likley only get a 285 tire which is kind of un common. My main concern is will 10.5 fit. If I can run the 10.5 I can run a tire a little smaller but the rim will blow it out a little. The main reason for running a 10.5 is the reason why we all run wider rims the traction the look and the badass burnout marks. As for the quads you are probally right, but they do help. I was planning on having to remove them anyway. I looked under a buddies 94 5.0 he has 9 inch rims and was able to keep the quadshock and it looked like he had room to grow if he removed the quad. but that is the 8.8 rear which is wider. I will have over 400hp n/a (before spray) when I get the motor done I know that is not a lot compaired to some guys but it is enough to give a geo metro a run. And would like some bite.

Seems like you are set on a 10.5". Unfortunately, I think, to do it right, you should convert to a 8.8" (with that kind of potential power), figure out the bs of the rim, most likely run stock length 8.8" axles, remove the quads since they are pointless if you have GOOD LCAs (and w/ 400hp you need some decent LCAs). You'll likely require some custom cat-back exhaust to fit around the tires and also roll the rear fender lips. On top of that you will likely have to pound out the inner wheel well to clear the rim/tire combo.

As for running a 60 series tire in a 285 then that means the tire is 30.5" tall and 11.2" wide. That isn't going to fit easy at all ...... a LOT of work is needed. Remember, that 10.5" rim you have in mind is really made for the SN95 which has more room in the wheel wells.

EDIT: May just want to mini tub it to avoid clearance issues.

Well the 60 side wall was for a 255 tire which I have seen done before. I am starting to get turned off a little about the 10.5 rim begin it may stick out of the fender well to much and look like like crap. But I will definetly run a 9 inch rim with a 275 Because I hear it will fit with roled quarters and quad shock removal I will be running upr pro or comp control arm set. The 7.5 will bechanged when it blows and then I will go with a 8.8 built up instead of going to the stock 8.8 posi and only blow it later. Either way they all have to same mounting. I can run 8.8 axles in the 7.5 as longt as they are 28 spline. they ae just a little longer on each end.