Widest tires without modification

88Stang331

Mar 30, 2006
I did a little searching, and i am looking for a combo that somebody currently has on a Fox body. I am in the process of building a 331 turbo dart block, and i'm going to need something that will grip good. Preferrably D.O.T approved.

• Sponsors (?)

I am lowered with BBK springs about 1.5" and have no issues with tire rub with 275/45R1's, keep in mind tires are like shoes they dont all measure the same even though they may be the same size.

15" drag lites with some drag radials will hook pretty good once warmed up. not as good as a slick but alot better than street tires.

Not to take away from stangnet.....but check out the corral.net, they have a very informative drag forum with alot of experianced guys

Define "modifications". You can get a 275 under there but you're going to spend some time with a hammer. 265/50s will fit no problem at all and won't rub even with a big drop in height, unless you've got a full carload and hit a bump.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Define "modifications". You can get a 275 under there but you're going to spend some time with a hammer. 265/50s will fit no problem at all and won't rub even with a big drop in height, unless you've got a full carload and hit a bump.

That wouldn't require any backspacing? I want to have an aggressive stance, (big tires in the back) all the better to grip with!! and by modifications i meant no hammers lol and no hammers and no tubbing. But from what it sounds like, 265/50/15's will probably be the way to go. Unless that will fit on 17's too.

88Stang331 said:
That wouldn't require any backspacing? I want to have an aggressive stance, (big tires in the back) all the better to grip with!! and by modifications i meant no hammers lol and no hammers and no tubbing. But from what it sounds like, 265/50/15's will probably be the way to go. Unless that will fit on 17's too.

The widest i've ran is a 265/50 because i try to avoid my car with hammers :lol: I ran them on 10 holes and Welds but sorry i couldn't tell ya the back spacing.

CAMAROEATER01 said:
since were on the topic of rims and tire sizes i am gonna be running eibach drag springs with mm adjustable lower control arms and lakewood shocks do u think i would have a problem fitting a 15x9 weld rim with a 275/50 tire in the back? with the lower control arms i should be able to adjust ride height by 2 inches it says on the mm website.

You'll have to roll the fender lip and bang in the inner fender with a mallet, and it might still rub. I'm not sure about tail pipes either because wide rims often rub the pipes.

CAMAROEATER01 said:
i thought i have heard of guys running 10" wide rims with out rubbing with a little hammering....i figure a 9" rim with the right backspacing and the adjustable lowers would make it okay :rolleyes:

Just depends on how wide the tire on your 9 inch rim is and how low your car is. I've got a buddy with H+R springs on his GT and he runs 17x9s and he doesnt rub, but his car isn't very low either.

You can fit a 295-50-15" tire underneath with no modifications to the body IF you use Air Lift's rear airbag kit ($70.00) from Summit Racing. Mount them to Weld's Draglites (15x8 with 4.5" backspacing) or Pacer's version of the Draglite in 15x8 with 5" backspacing (PM MOB from this website as he just got these and they look identicle.) I have the 4.5" backspaced 15x8's on mine with the 295-50-15" tires and wish I got the 5" backspaced model (Weld doesn't make them and I wasn't aware of Pacer's version until I saw MOB's. I didn't have to roll the outer fender, nor beat the inner quarter panel at all.

At the track, I run 26x10.5" E.T. Streets on the same rims.

Here's a pic.

45147.jpg

Hissing Cobra said:
You can fit a 295-50-15" tire underneath with no modifications to the body IF you use Air Lift's rear airbag kit ($70.00) from Summit Racing. Mount them to Weld's Draglites (15x8 with 4.5" backspacing) or Pacer's version of the Draglite in 15x8 with 5" backspacing (PM MOB from this website as he just got these and they look identicle.) I have the 4.5" backspaced 15x8's on mine with the 295-50-15" tires and wish I got the 5" backspaced model (Weld doesn't make them and I wasn't aware of Pacer's version until I saw MOB's. I didn't have to roll the outer fender, nor beat the inner quarter panel at all.

At the track, I run 26x10.5" E.T. Streets on the same rims.

Here's a pic.

45147.jpg

you wouldnt happen to have a pic from behind??? By the way your car is one of my favorites :nice: