Wierd Transmission Leak?

sveet

Founding Member
Jun 8, 2002
Snow Belt!
I have noticed a drop of liquid under my car two time over the past few weeks so I decided to investigate.

It lined up with the back of the transmission so I thought maybe an output shaft seal, etc..., however, that was real dry.

I finally stuck my hand up to the flat surface above the transmission that the shifter comes out of and it has quite a bit of oil sitting on it.

Where would this be leaking from? I am assuming that were the shifter enters the transmission their is some type os seal / gasket. Is this something I can fix from above, or would the transmission need to be lowered??

One last question,how do you check the fluid level in a manual???

• Sponsors (?)

What year is your car? I think I might have that also... I only have seen fluid a couple of times though. I changed my fluid when I put my new shifter in and I noticed the tranny fluid smell was familiar. I think it had been burning up on the cats. Anyone with information on this let us know what's up please.

Thanks

Wi-Stanger said:
What year is your car? I think I might have that also... I only have seen fluid a couple of times though. I changed my fluid when I put my new shifter in and I noticed the tranny fluid smell was familiar. I think it had been burning up on the cats. Anyone with information on this let us know what's up please.

Thanks

Mine is an '02 with about 4,000 miles on it.

I suppose I could take it in under warranty, but I always have bad luck with trips to the dealer. They always seem to damage something. (I am not kidding on this, my list of dealer damage is extensive) The Stang has never been in for any service and I would like to keep it that way.

If it is somewhat "normal" and everybodies does it, then I would live with it. Just need to learn how to check the level and add as necessary. (unless it gets worse).

Wi-Stanger said:
I'm not sure at all. Mine is a 2000 so we have a different tranny... someone will hopefully chime in with info. I see your location is listed as Snow Belt, where exactly are you?

I did find the manual on line for the 3650 (I am sure even though you haev a different trannie, the leak we have is probably similar). It definitly isn't the vent / breather. That is up further.

Based on the pictures I am seeing, it seem to be on top of the shifter plate. The only way it can gt their is if it is comming out the actual hole that the shifter goes down in??? Is their a seal there? Is that big rubber boot supposed to seal it??

PS : Waukesha, WI How about you??

I pulled the top boot off, and then the rubber isolation boot to get to the top of the shifter.

The fluid was simply seeping past the boot that seals the shifter into the transmission.

I cleaned it all up and reinstalled it.

Hopefully it stops?

Cool,
That may be what was happening to mine also. I just put the shifter in and haven't noticed any fluid since I resealed it. I'll let you know if I see it again.

I'm pretty close to you, about 45 miles north of Green Bay. Man when is the warm weather gonna come?????