Will 18x8 rims fit in the front on 1964 1/2 ford mustang

ballajb64

Jul 13, 2006
California
I am shopping for some more rims and i wanted to know if anyone knows if a 18x8 rim will fit on the front of a 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang. The rims i am looking into are the Boss 338 which is a 18x8 rim with 2mm offset and 4.5 backspace. Also if anyone has any pics of 18" rims on there car that would be great to see.

• Sponsors (?)

plus...it will even more goofy if you haven't upgraded the brakes.

I have 17"x8" on all fours of my '65 fastback. Front tires are 225/50, rears are 245/50...looks freakin' sweet. I'm also running big front disc and 10" rear disc.

something I see a lot of people NOT doing when they go with large diameter wheels, they are not upgrading the brakes accordingly.

Good luck..
Jim

Personally, I think 15 inch is the perfect size for our cars, but 16 inch is fine too. The biggest that still looks ok is 17, but thats the limit. My car will always have 15s, but if for some reason I have to go bigger, 16 is the limit for me.

I don't know why so many people want to put big rims on a classic anyway. It completely ruins the look of the car. Bling does not belong on a classic.

noooo, terrible 17's

8135_143155496663_576771663_2494171_702979_n.jpg

to whoever said "bling doesnt belong" have you paid attention the amount of chrome on a classic stang from the factory???? they are bling mobiles

Oh my god, 17's.....NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!.... Whatever, you old guys with your "mustang should be stock" arguement is just hilarious. Along with your, "gatta use a stock fan, stock interior, stock suspension, and might as well throw track master traction bars".

below is when I had 17's on, (ofcourse I have 15x10's on now...Lets see you stock guys get those on) but if i was playing in the corners, id have 17's still.

Thank you 65fastback2+2 these cars come out the factory with bling. I upgraded my motor and now i need bigger brakes. I am goin to go with the 13" cobra set up for the front which like cavboy78 said requires 17" rims just for clearance so thats why i am going 18". Here are some pics, just got the rims on the car saturday and they went on without a problem, now i will lower the rear like 2 inches and front about 1. The rims are 18x8 and the tires are 225/40/R18...

ballajb64-albums-1964-1-2-ford-mustang-picture5474-imag0303.jpg

ballajb64-albums-1964-1-2-ford-mustang-picture5475-imag0302.jpg

What backspace and tire do you have on those?

That looks clean:nice:.....................for 15's:D

They are a 6.5 inch back space. BUT, Its a 8.8 rear end from my 95 GT. It was cut down, brackets ground off, spring perches welded on, leaf springs moved in, mini tub, and all calvert rear stuff put back in along with disc brakes. Tires are 275/50/15's M/T Drag radials. And of course billet specialties street lights.. In a couple months ill be posting the whole build and all the info/work that i have accomplished over the last roughly two years. Front suspension is done, brakes are completly new, and the motor and trans should be in and fired in June i believe. But ill start a thread when that time comes.:nice:

They are a 6.5 inch back space. BUT, Its a 8.8 rear end from my 95 GT. It was cut down, brackets ground off, spring perches welded on, leaf springs moved in, mini tub, and all calvert rear stuff put back in along with disc brakes. Tires are 275/50/15's M/T Drag radials. And of course billet specialties street lights.. In a couple months ill be posting the whole build and all the info/work that i have accomplished over the last roughly two years. Front suspension is done, brakes are completly new, and the motor and trans should be in and fired in June i believe. But ill start a thread when that time comes.:nice:
I cant wait a couple of months.........lets see some pics if the rear tires now:nice:

I just said that I prefer the look of 15s and 16s. The 17s look fine, but anything larger than that looks cartoon like.

The wheels on that red fastback are too big and I don't think it looks good. They are out of proportion to the car. It looks like the wheels are the main attraction and not the car. It should be the other way around.

I was trying to help him by saying that the size he wanted to run may not work out very well.

By the way classic style and chrome is not the same as bling.

Personally, I think 15 inch is the perfect size for our cars, but 16 inch is fine too. The biggest that still looks ok is 17, but thats the limit. My car will always have 15s, but if for some reason I have to go bigger, 16 is the limit for me.

I don't know why so many people want to put big rims on a classic anyway. It completely ruins the look of the car. Bling does not belong on a classic.
Everybody is entitled to THEIR opinons, but to constantly tell people what YOU think belongs on THEIR car is getting old.

I've had 17's for about 15 years now, before American Racing released them..My buddy had BBS 16's on his car for over 25 years.Why because it our personal taste and we hold the keys. There is no reason to post your dislike of someones choice to personalize their car their way.

I have 17-8's on my 68 coupe. I like them. That's not to say I wouldn't like 15s or 16s. If you can get 18's to fit and you like the look, that's what you should use. Everyone is going to have a different opinion about what looks good but the only opinion that really matters is yours.

Besides, your question was will they fit, not will they look good.

Oh my god, 17's.....NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!.... Whatever, you old guys with your "mustang should be stock" arguement is just hilarious. Along with your, "gatta use a stock fan, stock interior, stock suspension, and might as well throw track master traction bars".

below is when I had 17's on, (ofcourse I have 15x10's on now...Lets see you stock guys get those on) but if i was playing in the corners, id have 17's still.

lol, I could do 15x10 but they would look like your typical chevy camaro owner with them sticking out 2"

My 17x9.5" fit good in the rear, 5" BS.

I don't mind big wheels, I just hate the big backspace wheels that end up looking like a FWD car on a classic. I've had my 17" and 16" setup since 1998, boy I got lots of **** for that one back then.