Will 20W 50 oil hurt?

I've posted here before about my problems with oil going down. Simply put, I need an engine rebuild, but I can't afford to do it until next year.

I've read about others using 20W 50 oil in the summer to help cut down on oil consumption. Will this hurt anything? Will the thicker oil actually help any at all? I know I can't do this in the winter, but I wanted to try it through the end of summer.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I recently saw a synthetic 10W-50. Wished I'd paid more attention to who made the stuff. Might be a great summer weight oil for the Stang and good year round oil for my Suburbon.

bobcatv8 said:
I have run Kendall GT1 20w50 since the first oil change. That was 17 years and 170,000 miles ago. Religious 2500 mile change intervals. Never have had the heads or oil pan off. :)

I too run this exact oil (just changed it today), although I've only logged about 1200-1300 miles so far. :)

i changed over to 20w50 redline synthetic cause i have always run their stuff and love it, i gteched it before and after and was pretty hard to tell but i would say i gained a few hundredths in the 1/4 according to the gtech for whatever its worth, my oil pressure is nice and good now but it wasn't real low before, my car has 130K on it but i live in california. i also only run super high quality oil filters and i have noticed a small increas in my oil pressure just from going from the low end garbage that was on there when i got it to the K&N filter i quickly swapped on, redline 20w50 has helped me spray nitrous on this old stock longblock motor more times than i want to admit to!

Couldn't one mix a couple quarts of Mobil 10-30 with a few quarts of 20-50 to get something in the middle like 15-40 ? Or does this not work this way. I use to start out with 10-30 and before my oil change - add 20-50 back in to whatever burnt out.

valvoline racing oil straight 40W for me, no additives. Mobil1 is just as good as is Rotella, they all have good amounts of zinc in them which can help a lot of things internally from wearing out or scuffing. Like for breaking in a cam on a flat tappet hyd. cam you pour in a bottle of GM EOS which has massive zinc in it to protect during extreme scuffing and stuff.

85mcLaren said:
Couldn't one mix a couple quarts of Mobil 10-30 with a few quarts of 20-50 to get something in the middle like 15-40 ? Or does this not work this way. I use to start out with 10-30 and before my oil change - add 20-50 back in to whatever burnt out.
I do this all the time. Do know that it is not a linear relationship though. One quart of 10W-30 and one of 20W-50 dont effectively make 15W-40. There are viscosity calculators on some oil manufacturer's site that one can use to figure it out.

i run it to keep the pressure up and consumption down.......sure i may loose a few HP cause of the heavier weight but who cares unless you are trying to squeeze every last bit of HP out on the dyno or somthing.