Will a 2800 stall TC from a 03 GT work in a 98 GT

GO N 60

Apr 16, 2007
Hello guys

I have a 1998 gt stock, I am having new front and rear seals install on my
trans, (trans leak - not pan and gasket) trans shift great (124 k miles)
but I was thinking.....while the trans is out to change my torque converter
to a 2800 stall, the converter is out of my friends 03 GT.. it was only in his car
for 2 days and he change his trans to a 5 speed.. any way... will his converter
work in my car... my trans is coming out this weekend please let me know
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Why do you assume it wont work? i believe the flywheel bolt pattern is the same, and the trannys are both the same (4R70W if both autos) so it should be the same TC design. When i had a 3200 stall built for me, i told the builder i needed one for a 4R70W, not a 4R70W outta a 96. It was 2 days later pretty much w/ the TC built that i mentioned it was a 96 while we were chatting.

Why do you assume it wont work? i believe the flywheel bolt pattern is the same, and the trannys are both the same (4R70W if both autos) so it should be the same TC design. When i had a 3200 stall built for me, i told the builder i needed one for a 4R70W, not a 4R70W outta a 96. It was 2 days later pretty much w/ the TC built that i mentioned it was a 96 while we were chatting.

Thank you Sir,, :hail2: :hail2: thank you for sharing quality information.

Thank you Sir,, :hail2: :hail2: thank you for sharing quality information.

Glad i could help, im not 100% on this, but companies such as edge performance TC's offer 94-04 AODE/4R70W 2800 and 3200 TC's, so i think they'd offer different models if the trannys had a different flywheel bolt pattern or input shaft design.
Make sure his TC is a lock-up design, that's what you need to be looking for my man:nice:

and you wont really feel the extra stall w/ a 2800, but it's still nice to have on brake drops. Find out what size it is too, and really consider putting a stack-plate tranny cooler on ur car, it'll really help reliability; especially since high stalls create more heat (even more so if it's 10.5" or smaller) and Ford made the worst transmission heat exchanger of the 90's

and you wont really feel the extra stall w/ a 2800, but it's still nice to have on brake drops. Find out what size it is too, and really consider putting a stack-plate tranny cooler on ur car, it'll really help reliability; especially since high stalls create more heat (even more so if it's 10.5" or smaller) and Ford made the worst transmission heat exchanger of the 90's

Will do, thanks again

You sir,

Are 100% incorrect.:ban:

The TC will work. If the new TC is furnace brazed, it will stall a little higher than your 98, if not it is the exact same as the one your car has originally. This is providing that the one in the 03 is the stock TC. If it is aftermarket, it will work but it is not an upgrade being a 2800 RPM Stall TC.

It will work but I dont' think its really worth doing. If your gonna do a stall due a 3000-3200 minimum. I went for a ride in my friends 98 Cobra with an automatic and a 3500 stall and that was crazy. It wasn't to bad on the street but its a blast at the track.

Like already posted look into a 3500 if you want to feel a difference.

You sir,

Are 100% incorrect.:ban:

The TC will work. If the new TC is furnace brazed, it will stall a little higher than your 98, if not it is the exact same as the one your car has originally. This is providing that the one in the 03 is the stock TC. If it is aftermarket, it will work but it is not an upgrade being a 2800 RPM Stall TC.

:) :D :) :D :hail2: Thanks TGJ.. Scorcher2205.. and 04yellowgt.. you guys are
the best.... and the other guy...:nonono: