will a passanger seat fit on the drivers side?

Highbredcloud

Mar 4, 2003
Palos Hills, IL
O.K this may sound stupid...but every single driver side seat is worn out...so I found some seats and obviously the passanger side is flawless...so can you just bolt up the passanger side seat on the driver's side without a problem? I am aware that all the switches will be on the right side but that doesn't bother me...any one know? :shrug:

-Greg

EDIT: Hey guys one important thing...I found a passanger seat and I need to know this before I buy it...Would the passanger side seat on the driver side be off centered? Ponygirl mentioned that and I am curious if it would make a difference to the position of the steering wheel...don't know how much off center it would be but do you get what I'm saying? Would I have to lean to the left more? I don't want to get scoliosis from leaning!!!LOL :rlaugh: :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know, thats a good question. You may be able to keep the drivers side seat frame and use the good seat you found. Only way to know for sure is to swap the seats in your stang and see if they fit.

Highbredcloud said:
Well I'm tired of having a worn out driver's seat so I will sacrifice the pleasure for looks...BTW what was so annoying about it? just curious...

Just having everything on the wrong side. It wasnt like I was moving the seat that much so i didnt get used to it. Every time Id go to move it Id reach on the wrong side. It was really tight inbetween the seat and the center console so you had to really shove your hand in there(i have small hands too)
Im not positive but I think with the way it bolted up it ended up being a bit more to the right then a drivers seat would be.
I mean its wasnt that bad but its like its my baby that i put so much into so I want everything to be perfect.

damn...I've got some big hands so I guess all the back passangers will have to use the passanger side to get in...I don't like to have more than 3 people in my stang anyway...Was it noticibly "off center" when you used the passanger seat as the driver seat? I swear...I am very anal and that might be a factor.

It wasnt like you could look at it and see its off center. if you stuck you hand inbtween a drivers seat and the center consol then a passangers seat(on the drivers side) and the center consol youd feel the diffrence.
If you very anal you probaly wount like it, for the same reason I didnt its not whats supposed to be there and its not perfect.

if you can't tell by looking that they are off center than I can live with that...it will suck if I get some lose change jammed between the seat and the center console but it's still better and cheaper than getting some aftermarket seats...thanks for your reply...

I ran into the same trouble. All I did was take the foam and seat cover off a passenger seat and transplanted it over. The ONLY mod was to replace the vinyl on the back because the hole for the seat release on the back was on the opposite side and I had my seat fram welded to get rid of the drivers side lean.

shallchr has the right answer. Use the DRIVER'S seat frame with the PASSENGER padding and cloth upholstry installed on it. It will work perfectly. The seat controls will be on the correct side, and the only visible problem will be the seat back release hole on the right side of the seat back. I would just drill a new hole for the trim mounting screw (if one is not there) and install an extra plastic seat back release lever trim piece to cover most of it up.

I had already planned to do the same if I kept my red interior......until I could afford to have it all redone.

Hey guys one important thing...I found a passanger seat and I need to know this before I buy it...Would the passanger side seat on the driver side be off centered? Ponygirl mentioned that and I am curious if it would make a difference to the position of the steering wheel...don't know how much off center it would be but do you get what I'm saying? Would I have to lean to the left more? I don't want to get scoliosis from leaning!!!LOL.

I still say you should swap the seat cover and padding from this passenger seat to the drivers frame you already have. It's not that difficult and will resolve this whole issue of seat allignment and the joy of having all of the controls on the right side. I would use the drivers seat tracks also. I had my welded while the seat was out of the car as they all begin to tear at the bends. Plus this will keep your friends from asking you what the hell you were thinking when you put that seat in. :D

Highbredcloud said:
so I can swap the padding and cloth my self??? without destroying the seat??? If so I will do that...
Sure can. I would take my old seat apart first so you see how it is put together. I have not done the GT seats, but did the LX style. It should not be too much different. Just be sure to not bend any of the metal bars in the upholstry and padding, they give the seat its "fit" on the padding. The bottom should be pretty easy, unscrew everything and remove the back, then the cover should come off by releasing the plastic retaining clips under the seat. The foam may be glued to the frame, so just be aware of it.

The back has a zipper at the bottom, or it may have a plastic 2 part clip that you have to pry apart. Remove the headrest (it is clipped in the back of the seat, you can release the clip by putting a screwdriver up the back of the seat, in between the clip and the headrest base) Then you may have to use your hands inside the seat to break away the padding from the seat frame - again it is probably glued on. Then the cloth and padding should come off of the frame. Install is the reverse, with the need to cut a hole for the seat back release and also cut the left side of the seat base for the power lumbar switch.

Good luck!