Will a T-45 work??

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
I am trying to figure out the best way to get my tranny fixed. I am BROKE right now and have no money to invest into my car. I have seen that pro-motion has built T-45's for less than the 3650's... can you do a direct swap on these tranny's? Or is there a cheaper alternative? I am not sure about having a trans shop in town rebuild it to stock.. I am sure it will be on barrowed time again..

I have a NASTY grind going into third gear, and when I accellerate I can hear what sounds like a rattling parts coming from the trans. I just skip third gear right now, but its getting super annoying!

Any thoughts or ideas welcomed!

• Sponsors (?)

Im not sure if it will bolt right up.When I did my clutch on the 01 gt I was told it had a 10.5"flywheel,but guess what,it had an 11".I think if you did try to do the t45 swap it would prob cost more cause you may need:clutch,flyweel,maybe drive shaft...I dunno if they use the same length, and you would definatly need a shifter,t45 and 3650 use diff shifters.And not sure if they have the same bolt pattern or use the same cross member.:shrug:
I think you would come out cheaper just getting a rebuilt 3650,just my opinion tho.I know promotion sells stock 3650 for $1250 or did.

Also promotion told me that thier stock rebuilt tranny's would be good for 400hp,just dont remember if thats crank or rwhp.

Im not sure if it will bolt right up.When I did my clutch on the 01 gt I was told it had a 10.5"flywheel,but guess what,it had an 11".I think if you did try to do the t45 swap it would prob cost more cause you may need:clutch,flyweel,maybe drive shaft...I dunno if they use the same length, and you would definatly need a shifter,t45 and 3650 use diff shifters.And not sure if they have the same bolt pattern or use the same cross member.:shrug:
I think you would come out cheaper just getting a rebuilt 3650,just my opinion tho.I know promotion sells stock 3650 for $1250 or did.

Also promotion told me that thier stock rebuilt tranny's would be good for 400hp,just dont remember if thats crank or rwhp.

man that alot of into for a med patient!:D.. jk man!!! dont come to my house and kill me.. or BAN ME MODS! lol...

just go to the junk yard and get a replacement if your broke.. if you have no money, just replace dont upgrade.. if you shop around you can do it for cheap..

also keep in min there are rebuild kits around, if your into that sort of thing.. cheap, and an upgrade!

There are so many bad 3650's out there, I didnt want to risk it going to a salvage yard. 2nd gear grind, 3rd gear pop-out, etc.

The built 3650 @ promotion is good to 750hp. It is 1695, and the new stock one is 2200 I think. I just dont want to break it, and have to go through all this again...

Maybe I will save up for the built 3650, and if breaks before I have enough, Visa will have to pick up the rest.

T45 and TR3650s have the same bolt pattern. The clutch size does not matter either. Just use your original clutch kit. The only issue you might run into is the speedo. TR3650's and some T45's (after 99 have electroic speedos and 98 down T45's have cable driven speedos.

yeah, If I got one for a 2000 I should be OK.. I wonder if the reverse lamp swith is the same.... I will call promotion sometime and talk to them about it. I know I would need a new shifter, but I am sure I could sell my MGW and buy another pretty easy.

yeah, If I got one for a 2000 I should be OK.. I wonder if the reverse lamp swith is the same.... I will call promotion sometime and talk to them about it. I know I would need a new shifter, but I am sure I could sell my MGW and buy another pretty easy.

Yea i sold my triax in a week on ebay for $145,then bought another triax for the 3650 on ebay for $80....:D