Will adding MM full-length subframe connectors affect my ride quality?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I'm interested in adding Maximum Motorsports Full-Length Subframe Connectors because I hear it stiffens up the chassis and is ideal for a convertible.

Will adding the subframes affect my ride quality? When I hear the word "stiffen," I kinda think of when I had my H&R Super Sports that were "stiff" springs and my ride quality went down the tube.

Other than ride quality, what benefits can I expect from adding subframes?

• Sponsors (?)

They improved my ride quality. Took out a lot of rattles and squeaks.

SFCTacked.jpg

Attachments

• SFCTacked.jpg
    SFCTacked.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 181
Yea being able to pull into any inclined driveway, or odd shaped entrance ramp is a blast.

I used to think my car was going to crack in half, MM FLFCs solved that problem.

Honestly I can't remember if the ride quality suffered any after the install, my car rides a bit rough anyways, and I have cheapo KYB shocks so I really can't tell the difference.

timeless2 said:
As stated, ride quality will be impacted, but the trade-off in performance and structural rigidity outweighs any reduction in comfort.

You mentioned "trade-off" in performance and structural rigidity... After getting subframes installed, what can I expect when I start to drive my car?

Seraphitia102 said:
Thanks guys.

Is it like a "noticeable" difference when driving? Or do I really have to pay attention to the car to notice that the FLSC's are there?
I don't think you will notice much when "driving" so much as you when "racing". ;)

When you hit the turns and twisties, the car will feel so much more sure-footed and confident. You'll love it.
Seraphitia102 said:
You mentioned "trade-off" in performance and structural rigidity... After getting subframes installed, what can I expect when I start to drive my car?
Expect as far as...?
Handling? Ride comfort? Body roll?

I actually think it helped the ride wuality b/c it allowed the suspension to do it's job. You notice the car will feel stiffer in of itself, especially in corners instead of the feel of it wanting to go to different places while cornering.

01BlkGT said:
I actually think it helped the ride wuality b/c it allowed the suspension to do it's job. You notice the car will feel stiffer in of itself, especially in corners instead of the feel of it wanting to go to different places while cornering.

I think I'm sold on the SC's ;)

If only "SC" meant "supercharger" and not just "subframe connectors"

BennyBlown2v said:
You're missing a reinforcement plate and gussets in that picture!

I honestly didnt' feel crap from my SFC's...but I only got them so I could later add a torque arm :nice:

Yea the shop that installed mine had done the MMs so many times that when I asked them about the plates they had never heard of them.

I drove back over there, and they had the plates laying around somewhere in the shop.

They welded them on no charge.

Oh and subframes for a Convertible are night and day. It's a whole new car!

Must have for verts over gears, shifter, etc.

timeless2 said:
You're not in a vert, either, are ya? Our dear young lady (thread starter) is. ;)

Convertibles are the way to go! :) I seriously get guys honkin at me and trying to race me with their Subaru Imprezas and Evo MR's :p

So how come subframes make such a difference when you're in a convertible as opposed to a hardtop?

Seraphitia102 said:
So how come subframes make such a difference when you're in a convertible as opposed to a hardtop?

Because you don't have the metal bracing structure that is a hardtop. The structural rigidity found in a Coupe vanishes like a puff of smoke when you hack the top off. Even with all the heavy bracing of a convertible and whatnot the car can still flex and twist much like a 2 liter bottle that has been sliced down the middle.

Subframes+Struttowerbrace+K-Member Brace = Solid

Verts without this stuff are prone to stress fractures in the interior, and metal fatigue over time as the unavoidable stress of not having a roof weighs in.

I personally have a crack on the A-Pillar plastic trim due to previous flex. :eek:

Seraphitia102 said:
Mark puts it as I would... :nice:
Henceforward said:
Because you don't have the metal bracing structure that is a hardtop. The structural rigidity found in a Coupe vanishes like a puff of smoke when you hack the top off. Even with all the heavy bracing of a convertible and whatnot the car can still flex and twist much like a 2 liter bottle that has been sliced down the middle.

Subframes+Struttowerbrace+K-Member Brace = Solid

Verts without this stuff are prone to stress fractures in the interior, and metal fatigue over time as the unavoidable stress of not having a roof weighs in.