Will an 87-95 aftermarket mass air meter work?

• Sponsors (?)

OinkAodeOink said:
Simple question..

I have an 01 GT ( 4 wire mass air, with IAT sensor NOT in mass air)
Will say, a Pro-M bullet or such, from a 5.0 car work on my car?
unless you go FI, you don't need a larger or different MAF. I learned the hard way about changing the MAF and screwing with it. Find another mod.

So can someone explain to me why the 5.0 meter will not work? If it's simply a different plug ( Im aware that it is) that can easly be swapped over to the 96-01 style plug.
My understanding is that the cars EEC calibrates the mass air for the injectors, so I would have to get a tune regardless.

Reason Im asking is because I'm doing a turbo build on my 01 GT and I'm having a hard time finding a used draw through, or even blow through meter for my car.

I might as well just bite the bullet and buy the lightening injector/meter package from buyfordracing.com for $320.

BTW, anyone know where to purchase the SVT focus pump cheap, online?

OinkAodeOink said:
So can someone explain to me why the 5.0 meter will not work? If it's simply a different plug ( Im aware that it is) that can easly be swapped over to the 96-01 style plug.
My understanding is that the cars EEC calibrates the mass air for the injectors, so I would have to get a tune regardless.

Reason Im asking is because I'm doing a turbo build on my 01 GT and I'm having a hard time finding a used draw through, or even blow through meter for my car.

I might as well just bite the bullet and buy the lightening injector/meter package from buyfordracing.com for $320.

BTW, anyone know where to purchase the SVT focus pump cheap, online?

if you can match up the harness and it is still a 5 volt sensor, then it should work, but like you already metioned it would require a tune to get the transfer curve right.

forpit2000gt said:
more information does change the answer to the question.
Yeah, he did not say he was doing turbo... :D That changes my answer. I would do the lightning MAF and focus pump if I were you, hook up dat turbo, get a pro tune, and teach some ricers to respect the Stang :nice:

Yeah, I'm actually looking to make a kit somewhat similar to the Hellion, except mine will work with the stock K member, be affordable, and simple to install.. We'll see how everything pans out.

My plans now are

Lightning mass air
42lb injectors(both $320 for buyfordracing)
Focus pump
SCT tune
Single 60-1 or 62-1 on low boost
Through a 4r70w trans I want to push 350 to the wheels and be done with it.. That should atleast keep me somewhat safe, being I don't beat on it daily.

One last question.. Being the lightning mass air is the 6 plug type ( im pretty sure the 90mm units are) the ones with the built in IAT sensor in the sampling tube.. I figured I would just pick up the pigtail from ford or a local junkyard and wire up my 01 GT IAT sensor wires to the 6 plug mass air harness.
Or I suppose I could just leave the IAT in the LMAF alone, and use my current IAT, located in the inlet pipe?

OinkAodeOink said:
One last question.. Being the lightning mass air is the 6 plug type ( im pretty sure the 90mm units are) the ones with the built in IAT sensor in the sampling tube.. I figured I would just pick up the pigtail from ford or a local junkyard and wire up my 01 GT IAT sensor wires to the 6 plug mass air harness.
Or I suppose I could just leave the IAT in the LMAF alone, and use my current IAT, located in the inlet pipe?

Yeah, if you are using the MAF infront of the compressor, which I assume you are, the IAT sensor needs to be separate because it needs to be after the compressor. Otherwise you will get a false (cooler) reading and will have trouble with the eec throwing in too much timing.