will anything else work?

Discussion in 'Mustang II Parts' started by tmorris, Oct 10, 2011.

Find More Mustangs For Sale!

1. tmorris

tmorris New Member

I was wondering if any other oil pan and motor mounts will work on a 302 in a 77 cobra and also was wondering are the frame mts for a v6 different than a v8?
    Any help would be appericated.

2. David B

David B New Member

MII

The oil pan neeeds the notched areas to clear the rack and pinion, and its Mustang II specific as is the oil pick up tube (Unless you have a V8 car built in Mexico where the firewall was moved back). The motor supports are specific too as they have a different offset than earlier (pre 73) ones.. One side of the frame stand is the same, the other is engine specific. If you are swapping a V8 for a V6 you also need the transmission, or at least a bellhousing. Rear axles are the same, but you may want to change the front coil springs due to the extra weight. You also need a radiator and MII specific front accy brackets for alt/p/s, a/c. And the main wiring is different where the engine plugs in.

3. tadous

tadous New Member

I did a 302 conversion on my 75 Mustang. I found a factory mustang II 302 oilpan. However, I could not locate 302 motor mounts. I actually bought mounts for a ranchero new from an auto parts store and with a little extra work, I got them to hook up to the V6 towers.