Will Axles be Necessary??

Na5.0HO

May 29, 2003
Michigan
I've got an 88GT.. pretty stock, underdrives, no ac / smog, full exhaust, MAF conversion, 1.6 RR, (most likely an aftermarket CAM, gotta love the suprises that come in used cars) and I'm going to be having 4.10 gear installed soon replacing my current 2.73 :notnice:

Heres my question... I figure eventually I will need to upgrade my axles and I've pretty much decided on just hardened 28 splines. Money is kinda tight and I would like to wait if its not necessary..? So (should) I have a problem with 4.10s and stock axles? I plan on using my buddies slicks at the track too, so that is a factor as well.

Thanx for any and all input!
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

I would wait until you can afford the 31 spline.
There are cars running 10's on stock axles, and a buddy of mine also snapped one on a 13.9 second car running BFG's. It's hit or miss, but you should be alright.

Thanx for the reassurance... it's not my daily driver so I think I'll take my chances! If I'm staying naturally aspirated and only doing heads and intake (power wise) in the future... shouldn't hardened 28s hold up fine optimistically mid 12s??

Thanx again,
Jason

Na5.0HO said:
Thanx for the reassurance... it's not my daily driver so I think I'll take my chances! If I'm staying naturally aspirated and only doing heads and intake (power wise) in the future... shouldn't hardened 28s hold up fine optimistically mid 12s??

Thanx again,
Jason

It also depends on tough the rest of your suspension is around the axles. If you have a rock solid setup and sticky tires....the axles are going to take the strain. Some of the stock axles worl great and some snap like twigs. I have been lucky....but my luck could run out any day now.

Na5.0HO said:
Jason

Stock axles are strange, some break with DR's in the 13's (ask perky), others hold on 6000rpm launches into the 11's w/power adder. Do you really want to find out wich you have :shrug: I believe that the hardend 28 spline mosers you speak of are around $230, cheap insurance and most guys have good luck with them into the low 11's and even 10 second range. Cheaper than a tow home and body repair, not too mention bruised ego :p . Good luck.
mike.