Will HEI style dizzy have clearance issues?

94Blue302GT

Oct 20, 2003
Chicago
I'm looking at some of the new HEI style dizzy for my late model 302 stuff into a '66.
Will I have any clearance issues with an Edelbrock RPM and Edel Carb? Seemed these dizzy's are wider and taller than stock, and I don't wanna make a bad purchase
Thanks
Blu3

• Sponsors (?)

"Stuff" is the right word. It's HUGE. It won't clear a Monte Carlo bar or even a decent air cleaner. Waste of money IMHO.
Wrong!!
It WILL clear a curved Monte Carlo bar. The problem is the air cleaner. Need the holley 13" air cleaner. The 14" is a no go.
Go with the REAL HEI ,DUI. ( Davis Unified) Seven years and counting. Not one issue!
I run the car about once a year. So it sits for a good ten months at a time. After time, try that with a coil.

Wrong!!
It WILL clear a curved Monte Carlo bar. The problem is the air cleaner. Need the holley 13" air cleaner. The 14" is a no go.
Go with the REAL HEI ,DUI. ( Davis Unified) Seven years and counting. Not one issue!
I run the car about once a year. So it sits for a good ten months at a time. After time, try that with a coil.

OK, I have. My 66 stock dual point with coil sat for 5 years, and it started right up on the first spin.

Anything beyond Pertronix I (to eliminate occasional point adjustment) is a waste of money. The guys I know around here have trashed a lot of MSD. HEI, MSD are the current version of the big yellow Accel coil, and they all remind me of the saying "Most fishing lures are intended to catch fishermen". It's not that all this fancy ignition doesn't work, it's that it does not return a horsepower increase commensurate to the expense. Mickey Thompson had a specially equipped Thunderbolt, which featured a pair of Chrysler Hemi heads adapted to the Ford 427 engine. It ran really strong, and yet the ignition system was:

64tbolt20.jpg

Ok... so it wont' fit.
For now, I want to get this thing running.
I have an accel coil.
I need a dizzy, and a balast or resistor or something, correct? Can you point me in the correct direction for this? I've been more of an EFI guy my whole life.
Thanks!

I certainly will want new.
This will be a show car/cruise car but I also would just personally trust something new.
The previous guy tried mating the newer efi dizzy to the old motor and all... but he never knew why it didn't run. At least he changed the gear out. But as far as the setup goes, I can probably just buy a stock replacement somewhere then, no?

Ok... so it wont' fit.
For now, I want to get this thing running.
I have an accel coil.
I need a dizzy, and a balast or resistor or something, correct? Can you point me in the correct direction for this? I've been more of an EFI guy my whole life.
Thanks!

Ford cars have a resistance wire built into the main wiring harness, so no resistor is required.

I certainly will want new.
This will be a show car/cruise car but I also would just personally trust something new.
The previous guy tried mating the newer efi dizzy to the old motor and all... but he never knew why it didn't run. At least he changed the gear out. But as far as the setup goes, I can probably just buy a stock replacement somewhere then, no?

A stock reman from NAPA or similar will get you going just fine. Any distributor must be curved to your car, new or reman, they never meet specification out of the box.

Ford cars have a resistance wire built into the main wiring harness, so no resistor is required.

A stock reman from NAPA or similar will get you going just fine. Any distributor must be curved to your car, new or reman, they never meet specification out of the box.

There IS no main wiring harness. The guy had wires running through where the dash was supposed to be. He hacked it worse than a bad chuck norris joke. I ripped it all out and am starting fresh.

OK, I have. My 66 stock dual point with coil sat for 5 years, and it started right up on the first spin.

Anything beyond Pertronix I (to eliminate occasional point adjustment) is a waste of money. The guys I know around here have trashed a lot of MSD. HEI, MSD are the current version of the big yellow Accel coil, and they all remind me of the saying "Most fishing lures are intended to catch fishermen". It's not that all this fancy ignition doesn't work, it's that it does not return a horsepower increase commensurate to the expense. Mickey Thompson had a specially equipped Thunderbolt, which featured a pair of Chrysler Hemi heads adapted to the Ford 427 engine. It ran really strong, and yet the ignition system was:

64tbolt20.jpg

Not exactly true. my 331 would start to hesitate after 5 to 6000 rpm. replaced the ford dual point with pertronix insides with a msd ready-to-run that was curved by my motor guy. solved the problem and now my motor runs smooth all the way up to 7000K. the reason i did the swap was the msd is more adjustable than the stock ford. 400 bucks seems like a lot. but if you have a lot of money into your car, whats another 400 bucks. my car is a money pit. i am sure most people neck deep in this car hobby will agree.