Will I Kill Myself?

ScaryGT

Mar 11, 2003
I've read several places that my stock Tremec transmission possibly won't take much over 500hp. I've read that you should replace it with a more stout racing tranny. Is this really necessary? Can the transmission actually blow apart into my drivers compartment and harm me? I don't want to spend any extra money on a new tranny if I don't have to.... but again, I don't want to die the next time I'm at the track!

Some of you folks with big HP jump in and help clear my confusion.

Thanks, Ralph :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

ScaryGT said:
I've read several places that my stock Tremec transmission possibly won't take much over 500hp. I've read that you should replace it with a more stout racing tranny. Is this really necessary? Can the transmission actually blow apart into my drivers compartment and harm me? I don't want to spend any extra money on a new tranny if I don't have to.... but again, I don't want to die the next time I'm at the track!

Some of you folks with big HP jump in and help clear my confusion.

Thanks, Ralph :flag:
:rolleyes:

I always thought you could buy a scattershield as a safety precaution to protect you if your clutch decided to come up throught the floorboard.

Also, a driveshaft safety loop is added insurance in case your driveshaft snaps and decides to turn your car in to a 2 ton polevault stick.

I wish I knew the answers you were looking for, but I don't blame you for being scared.

I'm sure someone will ease your mind, if not here try the corral or modulardepot.

Lots of serious drag racers on the depot from what I have read.

Good liuck,

Howard

Ralph, as Howard said a scattershield and ds loop will take care of your safety issues. YOU need both. I'm leaving my tranny alone right now and you know what I'm doing so we'll see what happens. Obviously it's not gonna' live long but I'm not replacing it until it breaks and then I'll probably go with the V1.0 from X2c.

To the guy that posted the :rolleyes: I guess youv'e never seen what a clutch can do to someone's legs and feet, uh?

Kinda :OT: I was at the track one night and saw this guy in front of me in an old nova hit his tranny brake at the tree and his TH400 went in every direction except up. They were picking pieces up for 2 and a half hours and the biggest piece left was about 10" or 12" diameter. It blew a few pieces almost into the stands and they were even picking pieces up about halfway down the track (1/8th). Shredded his left front tire and busted the bolts out of his body for his driveshaft loop. The only thing that kept it from blowing through the floor was the shield he had for the tranny.

scheister said:
What is the v1.0 from x2c rated at Hp & TQ?
Tranny was tested on a 3300 lb car making 1000 hp. Their site says they recommend the V1.0 for vehicles running 9.90 or slower with 1.35 60' and 140 traps. They just put one of their cars in the 8s with it.:D

krly79 said:
Kinda :OT: I was at the track one night and saw this guy in front of me in an old nova hit his tranny brake at the tree and his TH400 went in every direction except up. They were picking pieces up for 2 and a half hours and the biggest piece left was about 10" or 12" diameter. It blew a few pieces almost into the stands and they were even picking pieces up about halfway down the track (1/8th). Shredded his left front tire and busted the bolts out of his body for his driveshaft loop. The only thing that kept it from blowing through the floor was the shield he had for the tranny.
Exactly my point. And also another reason why I suggest the ds loop be welded in as opposed to bolted in.