will it work, this is here the question

Markus

Feb 29, 2004
germany
Hey guys,

i need an advise. Would an E303 work with my 331 stroker? I know, the E303 is not the best cam for my setup. The engine will see no more than 5500 rpm. Low end torque and driveability is the goal.
Or is it the absolute nonsense?
My combo:
331 stroker in my 67 Fastback, AFR185, 9.5:1 comp.ratio, comp pro magnum roller rockers, GT40 intake (EFI), 24lbs injectors, 73mm C&L MAF, 65mm TB, Hooker competition long tubes, Tremec TKO, 3.55:1 rear.

Thanks all !!

Markus

• Sponsors (?)

The E cam will work but ur wasting ur time. Use the Comp cam XE282HR. My friend has a 347 w/ 185's and 282HR and puts down 400/400, NA. I would also have the GT-40 intake port matched to the heads or change that intake to a TFS Track heat ported or Performer ll ported.

thanks all, guys
ok, ok, i´ll sell my E303 stick an buy something
from comp cam. Do i really need a dual pattern cam
with my setup ?
And the max lift for my AFR´s is 0.550 so i can not go with
an XE274HR or XE282HR.
I think the XE264HR or XE270HR is interesting.
What do you think?

(331 stroker in my 67 Fastback, AFR185, 9.5:1 comp.ratio, comp pro magnum roller rockers, GT40 intake (EFI), 24lbs injectors, 73mm C&L MAF, 65mm TB, Hooker competition long tubes, Tremec TKO, 3.55:1 rear)

thanks

The E cam would actually work okay for the combo.

The match issue is in the heads. The 185's like a split pattern with a bit more lift and more aggressive timing events than the E provides. By running a larger cam and those nice heads, then the GT40 becomes the hinderance.

For all the other parts listed I would have gone with the 165's ... even on the smaller stroker. But a cam and an intake is cheaper than a different set of heads to match your milder parts ... unless you can find someone to trade.

If you go with a bigger cam and intake to match your heads then you might want to step up to a 30lb injector to maximize your combo's potential.

CoupedUp said:
The E cam would actually work okay for the combo.

The match issue is in the heads. The 185's like a split pattern with a bit more lift and more aggressive timing events than the E provides. By running a larger cam and those nice heads, then the GT40 becomes the hinderance.

For all the other parts listed I would have gone with the 165's ... even on the smaller stroker. But a cam and an intake is cheaper than a different set of heads to match your milder parts ... unless you can find someone to trade.

If you go with a bigger cam and intake to match your heads then you might want to step up to a 30lb injector to maximize your combo's potential.

Wrong. The E-cam is the mismatch. Alphabet cams suck. Had one been there.

AFR 165's r too small for a 331. U could even use the AFR 205 on a 331.

Have the AFR 185's springs upgraded, have them ported, use the Comp cam XE282HR, and port match the GT-40 intake to the heads. U will be over 400/400 @ the RW, NA

304billet said:
Wrong. The E-cam is the mismatch. Alphabet cams suck. Had one been there.

AFR 165's r too small for a 331. U could even use the AFR 205 on a 331.

Have the AFR 185's springs upgraded, have them ported, use the Comp cam XE282HR, and port match the GT-40 intake to the heads. U will be over 400/400 @ the RW, NA

"Alphabet" cams do not suck.
They have to be used appropriately within a combo of matched parts for a desired outcome. I'm sure there are a dozen alphabet guys on here that would flip you a bird while pulling away from your ride in thunderous victory ...

Before you labeled my post "wrong", did you read all of the speed parts he posted. He has parts for a milder street 302/6 build and then good flowing stroker street/strip heads.

Do you not see that?

Maybe if you had paid attention to something besides the pretty colors while watching sesame street you would have seen that the "one of these things is not like the others" part was his larger cylinder heads.

185's are without a doubt a good head for a 331 (as I have first hand experience) ... but with a GT40 intake, 24lbers, a 65mm tb, a 73maf and an E cam... someone of sane reasoning would deduce that with a more aggressive cam, the smaller induction parts are going to determine the output of the engine ... not the cam.

I offered a solution for him ... just because you didn't like it doesn't make anything I said false. Have you actually ever built a SBF before to make comments that you have ... or any engine for that matter.

IDK ... makes me wonder ...