Will make you laugh!

• Sponsors (?)

No, brother, you don't get the response "Kids today" cuz you're younger and newer cars run stronger. You had to be there, when Fox's were new, to know what they did stock. Unless you found one in the back of a showroom somewhere, never used(or used up, as they all are by now). Stock parts, now, still isn't factory fresh, with the stickers in the windows. They were better than the articles everyone reads, in magazines with drivers who never took the time to learn how to make them RUN, like only an owner can. Not a lot better, but a couple thenths-and the speed density cars ran better than the MAF cars, close to stock, so the newer you got, the slower they went. Your car is real close to stock, look what that bad boy does! But the bigger issue is, for how much? My first was $11,080, Dick James Ford, South Holland, Il, Dec 23, 1987. For the cash these newer cars cost, they BETTER run circles around a $11,000 car, 2,3, times more $-many are more than that. I know I wouldn't mix it up with a new Altima, or an Acura, a proper Toyota, anymore, but for what they cost, I'da never been embarassed.

I guess I can't argue with the fact that I wasn't around in those days, after all I really didn't choose to be born in 1985 :D. But thinking because I wasn't there doesn't qualify me to have an opinion, or to know what the fox's did, isn't right in my eyes. The EFI fox came out when I was 2, and we purchased our families first in 1993. My father purchased a bone stock 91 LX with 65K on the click. Like you said not bone stock off the showroom, but as stock as you will ever find. Car proceeded to go middle 14s with nothing done, and he ran it into the low 13s with minor bolt ons and tires. Sure I was barely a teenager when this all happened, but I knew a LOT of fox owners growing up, and actually got into racing them when I was 15 (hehe dont tell the track :D). I actually run with guys who were there pioneering it. One of my good friends used to run with Big Daddy Dwayne before DR got insane. Others were and still are big names in the NMRA and FFW. I know all about Tony Defeo, Bob Cosby, Neil Van Opre (probably all spelled wrong) and the rest of the guys from the late 80s taking near stock fox's and running strong with them. I also know of some guys who didn't get the same fame running around in that time going 13s and 12s with stockers. Being young only means I wasn't there (wasn't driving) in the begining of the fox boom. I sure saw my fair share of it being the wide eyed car loving kid I was. I sure do know what it takes to go quick with stock parts, but I don't see that as any form for argument.

The fact that a stock 5.0 could be had for $11K back then... and now for $2K doesn't really reflect negetively on the Altimas, and G35s of today. Like Mike stated, these cars have navi, heated seats, handle, get good mileage, ride comfy, and do a LOT of things well. My brother has a 2001 Audi A6, with a 2.7T and a 6-speed. The car has heated front and rear seats, HIDs, rides like a dream, handles great and hauls a$$. I have actually run with new edge cars in it. This car can be had for cheap nowadays. The new sedans are light years above the fox's and can compete.

My point with all this... why is a fox owner with a near stock one, laughing at a guy driving a new, quick sedan? Instead of laugh, shouldn't he be a little nervous. Botch up the launch, or slack off on a shift point and that "laughable" Altima, will most likely walk away from you!

:eek:

My point with all this... why is a fox owner with a near stock one, laughing at a guy driving a new, quick sedan? Instead of laugh, shouldn't he be a little nervous. Botch up the launch, or slack off on a shift point and that "laughable" Altima, will most likely walk away from you!

Reminds me of this story a few years ago when i started getting into G35's. It was a guy in a 99-04 GT talking about an '07 G35 4-door that was "teasing" him (on a closed race course of course). Anyway the G35 was hanging door to door with him so the guy said he flipped on his nitrous and pulled away from him and was laughing about it.

I chimed in saying "Don't you think it's sad you needed nitrous to pull away from a stock 4-door luxury sedan?"

All hell broke loose after that..including the "my car cost xxx less" arguement.

All hell broke loose after that..including the "my car cost xxx less" arguement.

Ahhh yes, that's one of my favorite arguements. Subracting the price difference of a 20-year old Fox (or any car for that matter) to a brand new luxo-sedan and calling it even Steven when comparing the value between the two :rlaugh:

Then taking it a step further and propose sinking the difference of the cost between the two cars all of it into the engine of the Fox and justifying that because now said fox is clearly the faster of the two, it must be the better all around vehicle. All while ignoring 20-years worth of rot, rust and wear, or the fact the Fox is only built half as well, with none of the refinement. Oh, and lets not forget completely ignoring the actual value of the luxo-sedan and the fact that its still got 3-years of factory warranty left on it.

Oh damn....I'm doing it again aren't I? :D
you guys all have valid points. i just know that at the end of the day, my mustang is still waaayyyy sweeter than that altima! :D

I guess that all depends on your defintion of "sweeter"? :shrug:

From a "toy" perspective (drag strip king...a little weekend muscle), I'd love to own another Fox body, but for a daily driver or any other practical reason, I would drive over a Fox to own an Altima.

I agree, the new vs old argument is not valid, but some swear by it. Personally if I get beat a rotted out Chevette with a small block 350 in it it doesn't matter to me, I prefer my car over it in looks, style, sound etc... The owners of luxury sedans feel the same way if/when a Mustang beats them.

Makes me dream about a nice, quick luxury sedan again! :D

i do agree comparing cost in age is a poor argument, but comparing technology and performance isn't.....
11k mustang vs. 11k altima (in the 80's) mustang wins
30k mustang gt vs. 30k altima (now) mustang wins

11k mustang(80's) vs. 30k mustang = 30k mustang wins etc etc....

im glad a modern sedan can beat a 20+ year old mustang, v8 or not......newer cars are just factoring in technological improvements period...........just keep in mind that the new mustangs cans still run the new altimas.....

imo a foxbody aint fast i can tell you that even with my mild mods. i just like the foxes and glad all you guys too. i know my car isnt keeping a 302 forever, i want over 400whp before i think something is fast....so either i got some serious work and saving to do or its going for sale and i will buy a newer cobra or something.....

I guess I can't argue with the fact that I wasn't around in those days, after all I really didn't choose to be born in 1985 :D. But thinking because I wasn't there doesn't qualify me to have an opinion, or to know what the fox's did, isn't right in my eyes. The EFI fox came out when I was 2, and we purchased our families first in 1993. My father purchased a bone stock 91 LX with 65K on the click. Like you said not bone stock off the showroom, but as stock as you will ever find. Car proceeded to go middle 14s with nothing done, and he ran it into the low 13s with minor bolt ons and tires. Sure I was barely a teenager when this all happened, but I knew a LOT of fox owners growing up, and actually got into racing them when I was 15 (hehe dont tell the track :D). I actually run with guys who were there pioneering it. One of my good friends used to run with Big Daddy Dwayne before DR got insane. Others were and still are big names in the NMRA and FFW. I know all about Tony Defeo, Bob Cosby, Neil Van Opre (probably all spelled wrong) and the rest of the guys from the late 80s taking near stock fox's and running strong with them. I also know of some guys who didn't get the same fame running around in that time going 13s and 12s with stockers. Being young only means I wasn't there (wasn't driving) in the begining of the fox boom. I sure saw my fair share of it being the wide eyed car loving kid I was. I sure do know what it takes to go quick with stock parts, but I don't see that as any form for argument.

The fact that a stock 5.0 could be had for $11K back then... and now for $2K doesn't really reflect negetively on the Altimas, and G35s of today. Like Mike stated, these cars have navi, heated seats, handle, get good mileage, ride comfy, and do a LOT of things well. My brother has a 2001 Audi A6, with a 2.7T and a 6-speed. The car has heated front and rear seats, HIDs, rides like a dream, handles great and hauls a$$. I have actually run with new edge cars in it. This car can be had for cheap nowadays. The new sedans are light years above the fox's and can compete.

No, you did a fine job on the names!:nice: I just have an old guys viewpoint. The ease of which some people compare their various rides to what they seem to invariably claim were slow, stock, 5.0's, sometimes leaves me wondering. Man, they WEREN'T. You know, firsthand, you know the guys that made em that way. You got to see some of the superstars. Now, imagine being one of those guys, on the south side of Chicago, where there were LOTS of them. Then, hearing, 20+ years later, how everything could beat your old car, it never really went that fast? From guys who weren't there. Yeah, they really did go that fast. We beat up cars we weren't supposed to every day, that were light years ahead of us- Grand Nationals, Corvette's. You know those stories, those legends of the game have. It was a friggin glorious time to be a Mustang guy.:flag: And the $ for $ ratio I keep alluding to is from MY money spent, at a showroom. Twice. Not $ on an old car today, but my last brand new car, for me(not Suzy, who's gotten our new cars since)was a 90 LX hatch. How much they cost now, massive gap, and its hard for me to grasp dropping that kind of coin on a car, that just loses value the minute you drive home. For $30K+, cars aughta plaster you to the heated seat, make you dinner, take you to bed. There no question, they've come light years from the Fox. Built many times better, and, when these cars are 15 years old, I'll be buying one to take to work, cuz they still will. Why would this guy think his old fox wouldn't be trampled by an Altima, Acura, Audi, especially a built one, I have no idea. I still have nightmares about my first run in with an Eagle Talon TSI AWD, and how hard it was to run that little bastard down.I surely wouldn't be laughing at one, I have a pretty good idea what the can(and better)do. But, if he's got a PROPER 5.0, and knows how to drive it...:D

im glad a modern sedan can beat a 20+ year old mustang, v8 or not......newer cars are just factoring in technological improvements period.
I wouldn't say technological improvements are the only thing you’re getting for your money with the new car. You also have to take into consideration the wear and tear the comes with age, as well as years of dry rot, sun damage, grime, grease, etc. Unless you've kept your Fox in a perfect vacuum for the last 20-years and have never driven it, its going to suffer from all of these things to some extent, no matter how well you take care of it, where a new car (it doesn't really matter what the make or model is) starts with a clean slate. You can throw as much money at a Fox as you’d like, but the one thing that you can’t buy back is age. :(

Also consider resale value when comparing the two and the fact that you now own a new car during the first years of its life, where you probably own an older car during the last years of its life.

It’s like the old saying; “from the moment we’re born we begin to die”. The same holds true for a car. What depends on you is at what point in said lifeline are you comfortable with acquiring your car?

It’s like the old saying; “from the moment we’re born we begin to die”. The same holds true for a car. What depends on you is at what point in said lifeline are you comfortable with acquiring your car?

That's a very good point there.

I know some people that have NEVER paid more then $3000 for a car in their lifetime, and i know others who sell a car as soon as it's 3-4 years old for something newer.

People have different ideas on what is right for them. I fall in the middle. I consider buying a brand new car a HUGE waste of money, but I also want to buy a car while it is still under factory warranty.

That's a very good point there.

I know some people that have NEVER paid more then $3000 for a car in their lifetime, and i know others who sell a car as soon as it's 3-4 years old for something newer.

People have different ideas on what is right for them. I fall in the middle. I consider buying a brand new car a HUGE waste of money, but I also want to buy a car while it is still under factory warranty.
Ya know, I just realized I have never owned a new car. I bought my 97 Cobra newish. It was at the dealer but had 380 miles cause it sat there over a year and its nose was repainted cause some power lines fell on it before I bought it. Then I traded it in for my 99 FRC Vette but that was my bosses demo and had 900 miles on it and smelled like cigars :ack: Then my 01 GT vert I bought cause the engine blew up on a test drive and got a new one with 160 miles on the chasis, again was the bosses demo that she didnt want (she wanted purple, not black). Then in 03 I got my newish Audi S4, the very last of the TT2.7 V-6s. But againg it was my bosses hand me down and had 2K on it. So I have never owned a brand new car unmolested car :(
I once bought a new Elantra but that was for mi fience and I only drove it on the test drive and sold it after she died still without ever driving it :(

I wouldn't say technological improvements are the only thing you’re getting for your money with the new car. You also have to take into consideration the wear and tear the comes with age, as well as years of dry rot, sun damage, grime, grease, etc. Unless you've kept your Fox in a perfect vacuum for the last 20-years and have never driven it, its going to suffer from all of these things to some extent, no matter how well you take care of it, where a new car (it doesn't really matter what the make or model is) starts with a clean slate. You can throw as much money at a Fox as you’d like, but the one thing that you can’t buy back is age. :(

Also consider resale value when comparing the two and the fact that you now own a new car during the first years of its life, where you probably own an older car during the last years of its life.

what.....:shrug:
who cares about that, you telling me jordan couldn't punish lebron? i dont think it would be a dunk contest but jordan would win. when you buy new you get new stuff. technologically advanced from different metals to materials.(advancement from tehnology)((maybe technology isn't the best word of choice but that isn't the point)) i know new cars cost more cause of many reason inflation etc etc. but when it comes down to it a 1988 and 2008 mustang have nothing in common but the name. a timemachined mint 88 next to a 08 mint would still be a old rumble bucket. shoot a bet if i could go back to test drive a brand spanking new boss 429 i wouldn't like it cause i would feel like i was getting into a death machine......
if it werent for improvements there would be no point of buying new period. reliability increases,safety and etc etc.....
but i do get what your saying man, im not here to rgue this one, cause this is stupid thread i just hate everyone defending older cars becasue 1) they are older people and were new to them when they were in there prime..
2) or they are just plane arrogant. newer is improved yes! but is it better, not always!

what.....:shrug:
who cares about that, you telling me jordan couldn't punish lebron? i dont think it would be a dunk contest but jordan would win. when you buy new you get new stuff. technologically advanced from different metals to materials.(advancement from tehnology)((maybe technology isn't the best word of choice but that isn't the point)) i know new cars cost more cause of many reason inflation etc etc. but when it comes down to it a 1988 and 2008 mustang have nothing in common but the name. a timemachined mint 88 next to a 08 mint would still be a old rumble bucket. shoot a bet if i could go back to test drive a brand spanking new boss 429 i wouldn't like it cause i would feel like i was getting into a death machine......
if it werent for improvements there would be no point of buying new period. reliability increases,safety and etc etc.....
but i do get what your saying man, im not here to rgue this one, cause this is stupid thread i just hate everyone defending older cars becasue 1) they are older people and were new to them when they were in there prime..
2) or they are just plane arrogant. newer is improved yes! but is it better, not always!
Hey, no need to get all worked up about it. :shrug:

You said that the newer cars were just factoring in technological improvements as the basis of the price difference and I elaborated on the points that you missed. No need to blow a vessel. :eek:

I have no problem defending the Fox. I like it for what it was and what it represented to me at the time. But I'm not one of those guys that can't recognize that many....many superior cars (yes...even the ones that have since been dumbed down to family sedan duty) have been build since the Fox body's production ended.

i know man i said that(the above) at the end of my post for a reason. i know were you were coming from and my post did come off as offensive but i was in a hurry. trust me i aint gettting bugged my nothig on stangnet, even if you call my car a pos i will laugh,i wasnt disresectin your opinion. i agree with what you were saying i used the word technology to broadly thats all man

always lets keep peace in the country to are fellow american and save are hate for ricers and terrorist :flag:

ps. i just notcied your cougar is putting 410 down! crank or wheel?

ps. i just notcied your cougar is putting 410 down! crank or wheel?

Crank I'm sad to say. Small blower and a lot of drivetrain loss with both the auto and IRS. :(

Still a blast to drive though. It makes over 360rwtq by 2,000RPM, runs high-12's at over 4,200lbs (with driver) and still knocks down 26mpg. :nice:

When I come across another Mustang I like (probably a '96-'98 SN95), the plan is to pull the power train and transfer it over and see what she does with a little looser drivetrain and about 600lbs less weight behind it. :D

yeah my fox buddy(or should say platform buddy) is a cougar fan and that thing is like steping into a boat compared to the 88gt, but then again my car is like steeping into a tractor compared to my dd... man enjoy the extra weight driving tht car should let your health insurance rates go down lol

Ok guys. Sorry I said rwhp for a front wheel drive car i wasnt thinking. I don't have a stock 5.0 i'm about 23o rwhp with 3.73s steeda springs, upper and lower control arms and i know how to drive my car with 275/45/17 wheels out back I can get it out of the hole just fine. The guy guy was behind another car and i left him there. Sorry I didn't say that the 03/04 Cobra motor was the best motor in the world. I said it was one of the best. It can handle close to 30 psi about 25 psi am i right? Point is I would have beat A front wheel drive car to a land slide and doesn't matter what power he had. I could tell that he didn't know what he was talking about. Plus he had the stock exhaust. I think I could beat him and keep in MIND THAT MY MOTOR HAS 60,000 miles on it and is 21 Years older than the Altima.

You did beat him, or think you could? 230 rwhp could be 12 second potential, but on street tires and full weight and your probably talking middle to upper 13s. If the Altima was truly supercharged, as I read it to be, I think it will come walking past a 230 rwhp fax through the mid range and top end. Not knocking you, I had a 230 or so rwhp fox for years, it's just tha nature of the beast!

I doubt he truly had one cause he was a duece and thought is would be funny to mess with me when he was behind another car i laughed and hit second and got in my turn lane and he was way behind me. I hate guys that mess with me just cause I drive a mustang. I'm right in the area of 3,000 pound or less. That Altima has to be around 3,700 aleast.