will my tranny hold?

Paul Perreca

Mar 30, 2005
W/ the new combo in my sig, i still have the stock trans and rear, (rear has new 3.55's in it however) but do you think i will have a problem? If i do, is a rebuild the way to go or just get a tremmec, ($$$$ is low) how about the World Class T-5?
Thanks alot!!
Paul Perreca

• Sponsors (?)

put a steel bearing retainer on it and new seals , might wanna pull the top cover and take a look at the synchros , look for any obvious damage or debris , if everything looks good , run it till it breaks ....

If you don't do hard launches at the track and don't power shift the daylights out of your trans, it'll hold up just fine...

Do any of those things above regularly and your asking for trouble

A shifter is a must on any tranny. Another thing to save it is not buy the hardest clutch you can. A Spec stage 3 is only going to kill the tranny faster. Anyone I know running a stock T5 runs a clutch that will slip before the tranny does.

Anyone I know running a stock T5 runs a clutch that will slip before the tranny does

agreed! something will slip, either rear tires, clutch disc, or something in your drive line.....or it will go forward. I have ran this 4 cylinder T-5 for about one year now! I have even powershifted it several times in second gear. Still it lives!

IF it were me I'd tear it down inspect it, and if the gears are almost sharp......put it back together and drive it until it breaks. Cause it will eventually (if the teeth are sharp on the gears).
if they arent sharp.........do a complete teardown and install a COMPLETE kit including shift fork pads, bearing and use every piece of the kit. Most people go thru a tranny and use about 2/3'rds of the kit and then wonder why they have problems.

then when its fresh install a good shifter with POSITIVE stops! Keep your power shifts to a minimum.......and if you do power shift, or do run slicks or do run it at the track.........take it down and rebuild it every so many track pass'es and it will be fine, as long as you dont run some ungodly horse power to it!
Jack

yea i didn't go w/ that clutch, i went w/ the FRPP King Cobra, and i didn't even know it, but when we pulled the tranny, i decided to see if there was an aftermarket shifter on there, and there was hurst - so there is one, but i still always miss third with it - it's like a hurst from early 90's cuz the guys said he got one, i just didn't beleive him cuz it felt like some of the stock one's i had test drove - i was like ya watever dude - not basin my buying desicion on whether or not it has a shifter lol

Mine came with a hurst (my car was an AOD and I got a used T5) and it was a peice of junk. I wouldnt even put it on the car. It had no springs to center it like every other aftermarket shifter I have ever seen. If your missing gears the tranny wont last, so Id say get a new shifter!

T-5s hold up to h/c/i fine pending on the driver..

pro5.0 is a must.. and nothing that grabs harder then a King Cobra..

3rd gear is something you dont want to miss if your shifting it really hard though..

I've been through 4 T-5s.. from the track & powershifting.. and I may have missed a total of 3 gears F-ing around.. not racing.

any syncronized transmission was not meant for racing! get a TKO600....it has straight cut gears without syncros. It does cost around 1600$ though but is worth it in the long run...i have been through 2 t3650s in my gt

Ur T5 will be fine w/ a Pro 5.0 shifter. Mine has 122,000 and was behind a 347 stroker and now a little R304. Used the Centerforce regular clutch for 40,000 miles and now have a Centerforce DF, good to 500rwhp.

Had a friend who had 500rwhp w/T5 and he powershifted all the time, but when he put slicks on it and went to the track, it gave up the ghost.

Hmm Ive been powershifting for a few years now without issues. I have known guys blow them up in gear, and I know guys who have never had an ounce of trouble from them. Its more or less hit or miss, but the fact is there are a LOT better trannies, but when on a budget a T5 will hold!