will old intercooler work for teans cooler?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know how much pressure they can hold. A trans cooler line carries 4 or more times as much pressure as the cooler off a cobra. I would not try it. That does not mean it will fail, but I would not chance it.

the transcooler pretty much only has to deal with line pressure, which on a street car can be as much as 150psi. the intercooler has to deal with boost pressure which can be as high as 20psi depending on what pulley you use, but it also has to deal with its own cooling system pressure, which is nominal, and it has to deal with engine vibration and block twisting. as long as the intercooler is made of metal, usually aluminum, it should be strong enough to handle the line pressure of the transmission.

Are you sure you dont have the heat exchanger from the cobra?

The HX is mounted in the front bumper, and cools the blower's coolant. The coolant then travels to the intercooler mounted in the intake under the blower, where it cools the boosted air.

Are you sure you dont have the heat exchanger from the cobra?

The HX is mounted in the front bumper, and cools the blower's coolant. The coolant then travels to the intercooler mounted in the intake under the blower, where it cools the boosted air.

yes your right i am talking about the heat exchanger which has coolant running through it. well it did at one time but not now. i was under the impression it was the same thing. but lets not get off subject. if i can save a few bux and use the "heat exchanger"off of the 2003 cobra and use it as a trans cooler on my 1966 mustang i would love to use it, if not i would love to trash it hehehe. i think it looks like it really just comes down to what pressure it can handle. and im not sure. :nice:

If it fails at wot in 3rd gear and pumps trans fluid under the car, it would be quite a ride. Hopefully it would loose all line pressure and basically go to neutral. You can get a good cooler for less than 75 bucks and have something that is designed to flow/cool a more viscous fluid and take the pressure of a trans. Get a plate type not a tube type. Again, I do not know if it will fail, but I would not be the guinea pig. It might outlast all of us.

lol :lol: yah i hear yuh. im looking at coolers and they are not to bad in price. it was worth the time to ask tho. i was looking for an answer like duh we have been doing that for years and it works fine lol but i guess not this time. thanks for your input.