Will PI cams help a NPI car?

• Sponsors (?)

What I'm saying is, if your going to strip down your car that far in the first place, you might as well go with some nice VT engine heads/cams, not the stock ford crap. Then you'll see better gains :nice:

For once, I agree with you. If you are going to tear the engine down that far you might as well be puting in something that is going to make a major difference. From what I understand, the PI intake is what makes the biggest difference, not the cams or the heads. Throw a set of aftermarket cams in with the PI intake and now its worth all the effort.

Actually it's alot easier than swaping out 5.0 heads

And as for you saying 5hp, that's a joke

5HP was ment sarchastically.

Honestly tho, there is NO FREAKIN WAY changing the heads on a 4.6 could be easier then a 5.0. I just looked it up in AllData. It is a hellish ordeal. I doubt you actually need to pull the motor out of the car to do it but thats what the instructions say you need to do. You do however have to disassemble the entire front end of the motor. Plus when you put it back together you have to re-synch the cams/crank.

On a 5.0, you still have to pull some of the accessory drive and the intake manifold but you don't need to yank the timing cover. The only extra thing is adjusting the valves once the new head is on and that is only if you have adjustable valves.

It depends on your future plans for the car I guess. Those who want to put a blower/turbo on it then keep the NPI heads. If you want to run nitrous then by all means put the PI heads on or something else that the compression bump won't affect.

To each man his own. I'm just saying that's what I would do. Hell, I'd prolly put a new short block in there while swaping out cams/heads :rlaugh:

Honestly tho, there is NO FREAKIN WAY changing the heads on a 4.6 could be easier then a 5.0. I just looked it up in AllData. It is a hellish ordeal. I doubt you actually need to pull the motor out of the car to do it but thats what the instructions say you need to do. You do however have to disassemble the entire front end of the motor. Plus when you put it back together you have to re-synch the cams/crank.

On a 5.0, you still have to pull some of the accessory drive and the intake manifold but you don't need to yank the timing cover. The only extra thing is adjusting the valves once the new head is on and that is only if you have adjustable valves.

This isn't a sarcasm forum, so don't use it. People don't base anything by a sarcastic measure anyway

Doing it, and reading on alldata are completely different, so if you haven't done a PI swap before don't compare it to a 302 head swap.

the sites and things i have been reading to swap the cams for pi you don't have to take of the timing cover. all you have to do is make sure that the timing chain stays in place, and you just have to take off the upper accesriors it really doesn't seem like that hard of a job, just time consuming, but i guess i will figure that out, when and if i do it.

You can do the cams/manifold without removing the front cover OR you can, either way you'll be able to get it done. Some people just prefer to remove the front cover to be extra sure about their timing. As long as you never allow the gear/chain to have slack in it you don't have to worry about it though.

You have to 'adjust' the valves no matter what on a 5.0L. It doesn't matter if they are pedestal or stud mounted. They all need to be torqued/turned after zero lash on the base circle of the cam.

I'm about to do my PI Headswap in 2 weeks, so I'll tell you how easy it is compared to the 5.0L.

PI Heads are very well worth it, if you can get a good deal on them or got the money. If you are budget minded, get the PI intake/cam. If you got more, get the heads. Better flowing and more compression.

If somebody in my shop pulled the motor to do the heads on a 2v 4.6 we would laugh him out of the shop..

BTW timing a 4.6 is not hard

The flow isn't that major of a difference. Yes, they flow better, but not a whole lot better. Also, since he plans on supercharging it, he doesn't want the added compression.

They flow more. Flowing more equals more power. I never said that they will make you blow an ls7 away.

More compression equals more power. I was talking about in general information.

Of course he won't want it with a supercharger but PI Heads add power!

If you can afford the heads, get them. If you can't afford them, don't get them. It is that simple.

They flow more. Flowing more equals more power. I never said that they will make you blow an ls7 away.

More compression equals more power. I was talking about in general information.

Of course he won't want it with a supercharger but PI Heads add power!

If you can afford the heads, get them. If you can't afford them, don't get them. It is that simple.

No it's not that simple, you have to know your future plans to know what route is best. Why spend the $300+ on heads to get a 10.5:1 or higher compression ratio when he plans on supercharging it anyways? Thats wasted money on the heads because he won't be able to add much boost at all and will therefore be limiting the power potential. If he planned on staying NA or was going to run nitrous then YES, get the PI heads and love every second of that added compression ratio. Since he wants boost, and high compression + boost = kaboomskies, why waste money on SLIGHTLY (read very little improvement) better flowing PI heads when you can more than make up for that with the blower.

Sorry this may be a little off topic, but is it possible to P&P a set of NPI heads so that the NPI head's intake ports match the PI intake ports? Has anyone done this, and what are the gains over doing just the intake swap?

No it's not that simple, you have to know your future plans to know what route is best. Why spend the $300+ on heads to get a 10.5:1 or higher compression ratio when he plans on supercharging it anyways? Thats wasted money on the heads because he won't be able to add much boost at all and will therefore be limiting the power potential. If he planned on staying NA or was going to run nitrous then YES, get the PI heads and love every second of that added compression ratio. Since he wants boost, and high compression + boost = kaboomskies, why waste money on SLIGHTLY (read very little improvement) better flowing PI heads when you can more than make up for that with the blower.

If you read, I said 'in general', NOT to this poster!

A little bowl work and 03 4v Cobra Headgaskets will fix it.

I got my heads for well under $100, with 40k.

In general, if you can afford the heads get them, if you can't afford them, don't. It is that simple.

Blower is different scenario. You could rebuild and throw in some dished pistons with a rebuild, if you got the dough.

Show me a chart of flow between the two heads;) I'm not for sure if you know how to 'read' head flow charts. For example, (not referring to PI vs. non-PI), 20-30cfm at .500 lift is a nice gifting potential.

PI Heads & PI Intake go better than Non-PI heads & PI intake.

Sorry this may be a little off topic, but is it possible to P&P a set of NPI heads so that the NPI head's intake ports match the PI intake ports? Has anyone done this, and what are the gains over doing just the intake swap?

NPI Heads can be port matched to the PI intake ports. Renegade Racing and Steen Racing are the only 2 that I know that can do this. Actual gains with a near stock car, nothing, heavily modified this will get you a few HP. My P&P NPI heads are port matched to the PI intake ports.

If you read, I said 'in general', NOT to this poster!

A little bowl work and 03 4v Cobra Headgaskets will fix it.

I got my heads for well under $100, with 40k.

In general, if you can afford the heads get them, if you can't afford them, don't. It is that simple.

Blower is different scenario. You could rebuild and throw in some dished pistons with a rebuild, if you got the dough.

Show me a chart of flow between the two heads;) I'm not for sure if you know how to 'read' head flow charts. For example, (not referring to PI vs. non-PI), 20-30cfm at .500 lift is a nice gifting potential.

PI Heads & PI Intake go better than Non-PI heads & PI intake.

Stock ported stock Ported
Lift in Inches '96 '01 '96 '01
.100 --------- 46 54 61 60
.150 --------- 66.6 78 89 86
.200 --------- 84.5 98 111.5 116
.250 --------- 103.5 119 131.3 141
.300 --------- 121.3 135 146 160
.350 --------- 134.7 145 159.6 169
.400 --------- 147 156 173.3 176
.450 --------- 159.4 161 185 182
.500 --------- 170 166 188 185
.550 --------- 176 168 192.5 186
Part Identification 1996-01**

Tests were performed on a SF600 at 28" of water... Mild portwork to both heads same size valves compare apples to apples

is that what your looking for, i had one guy show that to me in the past...

...................Stock....Stock....P&P......P&P

Lift in Inches '96.......'01.......'96.......'01

.100 --------- 46 ....... 54 ...... 61 ...... 60
.150 --------- 66.6......78....... 89 .......86
.200 --------- 84.5..... 98 .....111.5 ....116
.250 --------- 103.5... 119 ...131.3 ....141
.300 --------- 121.3... 135... 146 ......160
.350 --------- 134.7 ...145 ...159.6 ...169
.400 --------- 147 ......156... 173.3... 176
.450 --------- 159.4... 161 ...185 ......182
.500 --------- 170 ......166 ...188 ......185
.550 --------- 176 ......168... 192.5 ...186
Part Identification 1996-01**

Tests were performed on a SF600 at 28" of water... Mild portwork to both heads same size valves compare apples to apples

is that what your looking for, i had one guy show that to me in the past...
Easier to read