Will the (94-98) rearend assembly work?

81stangdude

Jun 24, 2003
kentucky
i have a 1993 mustang with a 4cyl that im converting to a 5.0L. and i was wanting a 8.8 rearend and rear disk brakes. can i take the rearend assembly out of a 94-up) mustang and bolt it in? is there a website describing this? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it will bolt up, but you will need to change the brake lines for a center mounted flex line if it is a 4 cyl car, as the V8 rear ends have it mounted in the center due to the dual exhaust. It is .75" wider per side. The ebrake cables you will need to use the SN95 or 93 Cobra ones. Plus you will need to upgrade the MC and PV and front to 5 lug also.

See http://svo73mm.cjb.net for some more info and do a search to find many more posts concerning this conversion.

Watch that rear tire clearance tho, I had to grind and cut and roll the fender lips, cuz my 255/40/17's rubbed. I ended up swapping out the lower springs for Ford C springs, for less ride height drop too.

$450 is about average, maybe on the low side of average from a salvage yard. Don't know about the ratio, but if it has the tag, it should say, or you can do the old rotate a wheel one time and count the driveshaft revolutions. 3 turns = 3.08, 3.25 turns = 3.27

The tranny won't work unless you are putting a 4.6 in the car. It has the bellhousing as part of the tranny case and it won't bolt up.