Will the GT500 OEM shock tower brace fit a GT?

lurker

Aug 14, 2007
I'm polling the vast knowledge of the group with my first post.
I've a 2007 GT and would like to know if it's possible to fit the factory GT500 shock tower brace? It's significantly less expensive than the Ford Racing Brace but since it's a different engine and hood on the GT500 I'm wondering if the clearences aren't different? Anyone here know if this will work? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have the GT500 STB on my car, as you can see it fits.
P3110069.jpg

Attachments

• P3110069.jpg
    P3110069.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 139
no problem with the hood clearance on my car, the hood isolator has a indention from the bar but no issue with the hood, my buddy had a problem on is 05 with it hitting the hood but all you have to do is put a washer under the bar on the backside bolts which tilts the bar forward enough to clear the hood.

I wonder what is different between all of our cars in the different years? I have an '06 and the hood liner was rubbing on the intake cover which wasn't an option for '06, but is for '07+. I checked and the liner was not sagging at all, but cleary there is wear on the painted cover:shrug: So in my case, I don't know if a strut brace would fit at all:(

Update:

I have a 2007 GT (made 11/06) and just fitted a GT500 OEM STB. It clears the OEM plenum cover and all engine components (by about 1/8" or so) and fits in the same way it fits the GT500 (bar sort of arching towards the nose of the car). If I reverse the bar, it will contact the plenum cover and possibly the intake manifold!

The problem:
Using clay balls I have isolated clearance issues to TWO spots: the section immediately adjacent to either side of the "flat" center piece of the STB. The clay balls were totally squashed when I dropped the hood (but didn't let it latch completely). Upon dropping the hood, I noticed the entire right side of the hood NOT being flush with the fender.

I don't see any way to make the GT500 STB work on my 07 GT.

The GT500 also has cutouts on each side of it's cowl, which enables the STB bar to fully clear it's hood.

Even after using washers to angle the STB down. I was still unable to fully clear my hood, in which the bar would still make just enough contact to cause slight bulges in the gaps between my hood, and fender. Despite removing my hood liner, the bar still made just enough contact to where the hood wouldn't close properly.

The only way I was able to clear my hood, was without using the plenum cover, and then having to reverse the bar.

Update:

I have a 2007 GT (made 11/06) and just fitted a GT500 OEM STB. It clears the OEM plenum cover and all engine components (by about 1/8" or so) and fits in the same way it fits the GT500 (bar sort of arching towards the nose of the car). If I reverse the bar, it will contact the plenum cover and possibly the intake manifold!

The problem:
Using clay balls I have isolated clearance issues to TWO spots: the section immediately adjacent to either side of the "flat" center piece of the STB. The clay balls were totally squashed when I dropped the hood (but didn't let it latch completely). Upon dropping the hood, I noticed the entire right side of the hood NOT being flush with the fender.

I don't see any way to make the GT500 STB work on my 07 GT.

Charlie, did you also try using washers to see if it would angle the bar down far enough off the hood :shrug:

Rocky

Rocky: I didn't bother with the washers because the amount of bulge from the passenger side was about 1/4". I'd have to shim the bar by that amount to clear whatever obstruction there was. I suspect it was just the thickness of the insulator. Hopefully there wasn't any permanent damage to the hood or the hinges.

I may try reversing the bar and removing the intake plenum. I forgot how much clearance Ford recommends for the intake manifold.