will these rims/tires fit?

• Sponsors (?)

A lot has to do with the rim Offset that you have, or the rim that you want to get if 255X40X17's will fit in the front and rear.
Do you know what the Offset or Backspacing is on the rims you want/have?

custom89stang said:
no, im not sure....i'm gonna have to have the tires mounted on the rims...so i dunno
I'm guessing you should be alright with the 255 but it strictly my guess.
When I did my 5 lug conversion 4 yrs ago no one knew for sure if 245 X45 would fit and that's why I went with 245X40 because I had read that they would. But after having the 245X40 I now know on my car the 255X40 would fit, and that's why I'm say the 255 on your 89 SHOULDfit. I know it's not much help but it's ther best I can do. Until someone else chimes in.

245's up front...255's up front... I dont think either one of those will fit with out some serious tire rub.. I have 225 on my 89 right now on 17x8 and they rub when the wheel is fully cranked to one side... I dont think 255 or 245s will fit with out some serious RUBBING

I installed 245-45-17 on 17X9 wheels all the way around and I only rub a little on the back side of the left A-Arm when turned full left. I also installed 1/4 inch spacers to make everything work.

custom89stang said:
alright thanks. anyone install 255's up front? i had 9 inch rims with 235's up front and the rims rubbed..

Wow if you had 235's on a 17X9 rim and they rubbed then your definitely going to have problems with 255 fitting.
When I said I had 245X40 I forgot to mention that they are on a 17X9 rim and I’ve had no rubbing problems with the exception a SLIGHT rubbing on the A-arms ( NOT THE FENDERS) which seems to be the typical when you install 17X9’s but that was easily fix when I installed travel restrictors in the steering rack. That took about 10 mins. of my time and $5 for the restrictors and once installed them I’ve never had a rubbing issue.

My car is a 89 GT with 245X40X17 with 17X9" rims.

Custom89-

I have had the both of the following combos on my 93GT. I used to have 255/50/16s on Pony wheels up front and currently have 255/40/17s on a 17x8.5 up front. I have not had rubbing issues of ANY kind with either combo. No spacers or anything. I'm with ALMOST STOCK in saying that it has alot to do with your backspacing. 16x7 Pony wheels have a 4.87" backspacing and mine with 255/50s up front didn't rub at all. I'm not sure what your backspacing is, but hopefully this helps you out some.

Later-
Hawaii-50