Will This Alternator Work?

bighoss88lx

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
Yup I searched and came up with nothing.

I just need to know if the alternator from a 1998 Ford Windstar with a 3.0 will work on my 88 302 for an upgrade and is it a 3G or a 4G? I read that one from a 96 Windstar 3.0 will work. This one looks pretty much like it but I need a confirmation by late Sunday if possible. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford Mustang alternative alternator replacement
1987-93

Ford Mustangs in 1987-93 were equipped with a 65A alternator. For the carburetor Mustangs of the past, 65A was more than enough. Add a better than stock stereo system and/or a smaller pulley to an 1987-93 and many Mustang enthusiasts were left with charging problems.

A wide-spread alternative is to use Fords 130A alternator, but this requires modification to the alternator bracket. Here, you will receive information on another Ford alternator. This one is rated at either 95A or 105A (depending where you get the info). That is more than enough to run a good stereo system AND run a pulley that is smaller than even a Motorsport pulley without problems. The advantage? It's truly bolt-in. No bracket modifications required.

The alternator in question is one for a 1994 Ford Aerostar van w/ 3.0L and A/C (air conditioning). This alternator is listed as other applications, but unknown what exactly. If you go to an auto parts store, just ask for the 95A or 105A alternator for that year/model van. You should have no problem (assuming the parts person is compliant).

UPDATE: I recently found out that this is the same alternator found in the Motorsports M-10300-A351 kit. Still check autoparts stores. You might get a better deal since you wont be paying for the name, Motorsport.

Installation instructions:

1. Cut the 3-wire, rectangular plug. This is the only modification necessary for the alternator. See figure 1

01.gif

2. Install 2 ring connectors and 1 female quick connector. This is what replaces the connector. The 2 thick wires are the positive leads. The 1 small wire is the charging "signal" wire. See figure 2

02.gif

3. Bolt the alternator. The alternator will fit in the same spot as the 65A alternator. A replacement bolt, for the threaded hole, will normally be supplied with the alternator. If not, you'll need to go to a hardware store, or other establishment, for the bolt. The 9/16" bolt from the 65A alternator WILL NOT work.
4. Plug/install all connectors. The other, non-modified plug that goes into the voltage regulator will work with the new alternator without a problem. The alternators share the same plug. The 2 thick wires go to the big post on the back of the alternator and the 1 small wire goes on the side of the alternator. Make sure that you get a boot to cover the 2 thick wires. That is a HOT + lead.

5. Reinstall the belt. If you need a new belt, now would be a good time to replace it.

6. Connect the battery. Make sure that everything is tight and in its place.