Will this break my axles or differential???

Rickyll7

Dec 16, 2005
So I have whats listed in my sig, plus some 4.10 gears being installed. I dynod 292 rwhp 342 rwtq on a mustang dyno.

If I run slicks at the track with this setup, will I be safe, or should I stick with the street tires until I can get some 31 splines? Or will the street tires break my axles??? I basicaly want to know what it will take to break my axles with the setup I have now so I know what not to do.

• Sponsors (?)

what kinda street tires?
Do you dead hook?
I ran all last season spraying outta the hole and my stock axles and diff lived. Most of the runs were on Et streets BIAS ply's.
However I've seen a stock Mach1 snap a stock axle and frag the stock diff on some 315 bfg dr's.

right now i have some 275's with 440 tread wear but will probably soon get some 285's with 300 tread wear, probably some eagle f1's or some nitto 555 streets

btw, what is dead hook??? I dont go to the track much...

dead hook = Hook no spin low 60' times. Normally seen on slicks or people with Dr's that have really learned how to drive them. everyonce in awhile you'll see someone do it on streettires that have mastered the art of hard launching on streettires.

For safety concerns I'd do the axle upgrade. IMO Dr's or any radial tire that hooks puts a harder shock on the rearend compents, than a bias ply tire. Of course the flip side to that is the bias ply's don't ride as well wallow more in the turns and wear out QUICK if driven on the street.

simple answer is yes you could damage something.

I would upgrade becasue sometimes you can damage the housing itself buy spinning the tubes.

1. 31 spline axles
2. diff
3. weld tubes
4. weld torqu boxes probably.

I have read if you run reallly good control arms (no poly bushings) the torque boxes may not be a must but I would proably weld them anyway.