Dec 18, 2005
Will this combo make 500hp?

Mexican block ".30 over", 8.5:1 pistons, 303b cam, 1.72 roller rockers,

Gt40 ported and polished heads,

Edelbrock
Performer air gap intake manifold "No EGR" and 4 barrel carburetor

MSD
Wires, coil, and 6a 6200 ignition

10lbs turbo, ram air intake, 3 stage inner cooler, BBK headers under drive pulleys, no smog pump, no ac compressor, 2.5" H pipes

Just want a practical home built 500hp ride

I am also considering a v10 swap. Yes it "WILL" fit I did the home work!

• Sponsors (?)

at the crank... sure... at the wheels, no. At best that motor could potentially see 270 rwhp n/a, and that's being very generous. With perfect efficiency, adding in 10psi of boost will net, at very best, 450 rwhp.

Chris

i would say get rid of that B303 cam and go custom. A custom cam will really help bring it alive. Also, why such a low compression, you could probably get 9:1 out of it and give yourself a little more bottom end. Also are you talkin about 302 or 351?

FastDriver said:
at the crank... sure... at the wheels, no. At best that motor could potentially see 270 rwhp n/a, and that's being very generous. With perfect efficiency, adding in 10psi of boost will net, at very best, 450 rwhp.

Chris

If the heads are fully ported and not just gasket matched, then it should have no problem putting 300 to the wheels.

I would run an f-cam and a performer rpm, I bet its going to take around 12-14 psi to make 500 to the wheels.

Btw no one can really tell much about the combo you listed, I mean you didnt even put down what size snail u were planing to run. If the car is efi already why the hell are you going to put a card on it? This is not 1976.

My buddy runs a stock block, ported E7s, ported explorer intake, B-cam and 8psi with a turbo. Car made 430 with a T-5.

He ditched the T-5, put in a glide and at 10psi the car ran a 6.9 @ 100+ on BFGs. Thats a hatch car at full weight.

Woodrow said:
If the heads are fully ported and not just gasket matched, then it should have no problem putting 300 to the wheels.

I would run an f-cam and a performer rpm, I bet its going to take around 12-14 psi to make 500 to the wheels.

Btw no one can really tell much about the combo you listed, I mean you didnt even put down what size snail u were planing to run. If the car is efi already why the hell are you going to put a card on it? This is not 1976.

You're right. Sounds something like a factory stock combination, and they do get more than 300 rwhp out of them. I got about 320 rwhp out of AFR165s and a custom cam. So, I guess I could see that happening. I really wasn't considering the porting job on the GT40s when I wrote the post above.

I still don't see 500 rwhp at only 10 psi, though. I made a little over 400 with GT40X heads and 10 psi from an incon TT kit. Depending on the turbo and the tune and a typical porting job on GT40 heads, I think 13psi could do it, and that's about as much boost as I'd try to run on 93 octane.

Chris

fidstang said:
completely stock motors with a single turbo kit @ 8psi put down 370-380whp.
I do believe the cam will cost some hp. But, then again, I've heard smaller cams offer a better power band with turbo's.

According to the article in MM&FF, Hellion's base kit is making 400rwhp and 500rwtq on a completely bone stock engine.

spending the money it would take to get a V-10, shoe it into a fox, and turbo it would be a lot more money than it would take to get some decent heads and an intake for the 302. Turn the boost up a bit, and voila well over 500 rwhp.

88Stang331 said:
According to the article in MM&FF, Hellion's base kit is making 400rwhp and 500rwtq on a completely bone stock engine.
Ya, but I was just quoting what I've seen from some JY turbo fabbed work.
Couple of them were getting 400 at the wheel with just 7psi. That's pretty close to 500 at the crank. Those were without tuning also.:nice:

FastDriver said:
Hi Grover,

You're not running an intercooler? That's an awful lot of boost...
no intercooler, besides snow kit.

NewDyno.JPG

I am fully aware this is a timebomb, but it makes power. All on 91 octane :)