Will This Work: Homemade Filler Neck Extension ?

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
oil cap hitting tb pic 2.png
explorer fill neck.jpg
My valve cover oil fill neck is right up against the cold air tube and I can't swap sides with because then the valve cover would hit the upper intake I'm sure, I think
smile.gif
. I'm a little skeptical about the idea that I read about where one guy cut the filler neck and used a radiator hose that had a bend in it, forgot if it was a 30 or 45 degree and he clampped one end to the cover and the other end to the threaded end for the cap and that gave him the extension he needed to avoid the cap hitting the tube or throttle body or whatever the case was. I guess my skepticism was leaks but I guess the clamps should secure that ??????????????

I don't want to run a breather because i dont wana #### up the pcv system though a twist in breather would be taller and clear the tube possibly..

the first pic is mine and the second pic is an explorer fill tube that has a natural bend and this is another example of what someone used. If i was to use one i would probably just see ifi have a tube with a bend or go to a junk yard and find one instead of buying a new hose with that bend. I'm not sure the Explorer one would be the same size as my neck.

Also someone had before had provided a link to where you could buy a screw in type filler neck extension but I cannot find that old thread.

• Sponsors (?)

interesting, what ywar is this and what valve covers? Mine is miles away from hitting anything with factory efi valve covers
95 and the valve covers when i bought them said 86-95 chrome valve covers im pretty sure. I needed a cover that would clear the valve covers, 1.6 FR blues. I also wanted a nice looking cover that i didnt have to cut and make my own neck but didnt know the trouble of the oil cap being that close to the tube though they have been on the car for yrs and yrs but one of them things that i want to change/fix while I'm fixing other things with the car

Time to swap to a fox throttle body and ditch the elbow thats in the way
just looking at an image of my setup, it appears my throttle body would be the same as a fox in that it is straight. I think the elbow adapter is required because of the cold air kit i have and the elbow allows it to have the necessary location for the cold air fitment. I would probably have to change the pipe as and then i can just run my throttle body I think off of my performer 2 without the elbow adapter

A radiator hose could work with clamps but but obviously you need to try and do it as clean as possible for it not to be an eye sore :O_o:. I've got a plastic rippled sleeve over my so called "cold air intake" as a heat barrier to the metal and it makes me cringe when I open my hood. Trying to aid my ram air hood as much as possible.

IMAG0990-1.jpg

A radiator hose could work with clamps but but obviously you need to try and do it as clean as possible for it not to be an eye sore :O_o:. I've got a plastic rippled sleeve over my so called "cold air intake" as a heat barrier to the metal and it makes me cringe when I open my hood. Trying to aid my ram air hood as much as possible.
lol yeah i know and thought about all that. Someone also mentioned the possibility of rubber over time possibly breaking down if its a non oil resistant kind and chunks of the rubber getting into the head. I think i will just go and get it done right. I'm going to talk to a few guys i know that are good jack of all trades and does alot of metal work and fabricating stuff and let them hook it up

IMAG0990-1.jpg
what is that on alot of your engine components that has it looking shiny

when the guy welds that piece I'm going to have to paint the neck or put something over it. I might can slip a heat resistant piece of something over it ( red to match underhood accessory colors) to shield the mismatchedness and that might suffice if I dont feel like painting it right away.

If i did paint the neck i guess probably taking off the chrome and painting the whole neck might be best or i could get chrome paint and that should get it close.