Will this work??? - Valve Cover Question

94DreamGT

Founding Member
Jul 19, 2000
Indiana
Ok…I am doing a headswap in a couple weeks and have been told time and time again that the 1.6 Scorpion RR’s I will be purchasing will not fit under the SN95 Valve Covers. No surprise here. So…I picked up a set of Fox Body Valve covers which I’m told will work fine.

Then I come to find out that the passenger side valve cover’s Oil fill tube on those VC’s interferes with the intake bent on the upper…no surprise here either as the SN95 cars have many little quirks such as this 

I’ve read a few solutions and “fixes” for this problem, but me and a couple friends thought of something that sounds logical and I’m trying to see if there are any flaws in the plan.

The plan involves taking two Driver side Fox valve covers and putting them on as they are interchangeable (no respect to left/right head side)…this would eliminate any interference with a oil fill hole on the passenger side obviously. We would then punch a hole in an appropriate spot on the driver side VC and insert a breather. Thus there would be the proper ventilation and location to fill the oil. Also…I could place this exactly where I wanted so there would be no problems with location or interference.

Will this work???

• Sponsors (?)

First let me say that I have read on this board over a year ago, that some have fixed this problem by inserting a crow bar into the fill neck... while standing on the cover, the applied pressure to bend the neck. They say that it worked!! ?? Obviously, not to much pressure as to snap the neck off.

As to your solution... if the neck is not in conflict with your intake on the drivers side, then perhaps you could just add a breather cap to the neck... either a small k&n breather for the small tube outlet or a larger breather for the neck. This should save you from having to punch any holes!!! Just a thought. Good luck! :flag:

If you have access to an acetaline torch and a welder you can always cut the neck and reweld it at an angle so it will clear. I'm in the middle of a headswap and this is proving to be a huge pain in the a**! I am alos comtemplating the idea of doing one on the drivers side instead. I'll let you know how it goes, mine should be done in about a week of two.