will this work?

Rusty66coupe

Sep 9, 2008
I found a local guy that has a '65 / '66 complete exhaust that he is willing to part with for $100. Came out of a '65 with a 289, dual exhaust so very similar to mine and would give me good pipe from the manifold to the tips with decent stock type mufflers to boot. Currently, if you bump into any of my pipes it sounds like rain from the rust falling off, LOL!

Thinking this would be a cheap way to go for now then down the road get a nicer flowmaster or Magnaflow system, etc. For now...his is in good shape and it would fix a leak. I don't know for certain I have leaks but it would not surprise me at all.

The catch is the set he has for sale has the turn down at the end where as I have the Extension Tips.

Anyone know if I would have any issues with cutting off the turn down portion and adding the extension tips. May have to have a local muffler shop weld the tips on but that couldn't cost all that much

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the confirm, I sort of figured that was the case.

Any idea on the best way to attach the extension ends after cutting off the turn downs?

I know....probably a stupid question but learning as I go

Thanks again...have never really done any exhaust work. Seems so often that having a need is when we finally investigate things.

Going to look at the exhaust the guy has before making a commitment to purchase it but judging from a picture it looks to be in really good shape.

From there probably going to purchase one of the hanging kits and get some extra clamps to get the extensions on.

Can you think of anything else I would need?

I am assuming you bolt the exhaust to the headers and don't need any gaskets or things of that nature....

You may need collector gaskets to bolt up the headers to the pipes. Some times they'll leak without gaskets (flat flanged types) some times they don't. The only real thing to consider is the length of the header collectors on the setup you're looking at vs yours. At best you may need to lengthen or shorten the exhaust pipe between the collector and mufflers. You migth consider cutting the tailpipes and going back with larger diameter stainless extensions, :nice: that way it won't look cobbled together :)Dincase you were concerned about the "redneck":D look)