Will we see a 2005 Mach 1?

Does that make the Mustang GT a glorified Focus?

No, cause the Mustang is actually different from the Focus, not the same friggin body, and they just didn't stuff a bigger engine in it. Sure, the hp numbers larger for the GTO, but what about the weight of all those options. And I bet the Mustang is somewhat underrated. I just don't think the GTO will be a must buy car, except buy those who have to have it because there is only gonna be 18,000 of them. I'd love to have a GTO if it had a different styling than the Grand Prix(sheesh, sorry I can't remember the proper Pontiac model names), and some actually nice 1/4 mi times, what was it, like 14.7 or something from R&T. But hey, thats just my thoughts, whatever you think is fine, but proclaiming the GTO as some winner of the 2005 muscle car is foolish.

Sorry for the triple post, cursed Cox cable, and their stupid server maintenance.

• Sponsors (?)

ah dont let this guy ruffle your feathers, he's a diehard of a brand that is now extinct. let him have his little GTO.

by the way z28x, are you planning on buying one? do you own one? or are you a bench racer? cuz i know ill have one of the new mustangs in my garage.

faststang_728 said:
whatever happened to the GTO, it used to be a badass muscle car and then (as far as im concerned) it turned into a badass grocery getter.

You forgot a couple of crucial steps in its evolution.

It started as a Grocery Getter, then became a muscle car, then went extinct, only to be resurected as a Muscular grocery getter.

Ron Jeremy said:
Ford will have the Mustang 350 GT and/or the 500 GT. They will even build a Mach 1 and a Boss Mustang. But everything will happen after 2004. Ford will start doing this by 2005 model year. So I wouldn't worry about it.

The GT350/GT500 have not yet been confirmed. Neither has info regarding ANY special edition for that matter. Hell, we have yet to see any info on the Cobra yet.

LZR RED COBRA said:
ah dont let this guy ruffle your feathers, he's a diehard of a brand that is now extinct. let him have his little GTO.

by the way z28x, are you planning on buying one? do you own one? or are you a bench racer? cuz i know ill have one of the new mustangs in my garage.

The Cobra isn't extinct it is only going away for a year. I like all the Domestic brands, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Pontiac.

LZR RED COBRA - I'll be looking For a new hot rod it 2 year, It won't be a GT, I'll wait for the Cobra or Mach 1 (as long as they don't cost too much)

pairofnines said:
No, cause the Mustang is actually different from the Focus, not the same friggin body, and they just didn't stuff a bigger engine in it. Sure, the hp numbers larger for the GTO, but what about the weight of all those options. And I bet the Mustang is somewhat underrated. I just don't think the GTO will be a must buy car, except buy those who have to have it because there is only gonna be 18,000 of them. I'd love to have a GTO if it had a different styling than the Grand Prix(sheesh, sorry I can't remember the proper Pontiac model names), and some actually nice 1/4 mi times, what was it, like 14.7 or something from R&T. But hey, thats just my thoughts, whatever you think is fine, but proclaiming the GTO as some winner of the 2005 muscle car is foolish.

GTO share 0 parts with the Grand Am or Grand Prix, Please go do some research before you come on here and make a fool of yourself. I like the GTO, the styling is a little conservative, but Pontiac said they were going for more of a BMW clean look. THe 2005 will be more agressive (Ram Air hood, quad exhust). THe GTOs are expected to sell out at almost close to MSRP. As far as performace goes MT did the 1/4mi. in 13.6 and we all know their drivers suck.

Since when is proclaming the fastest car the winner foolish???? THe 2005 GTO will be faster than the 2005 Mustang GT.

[/B]Since when is proclaming the fastest car the winner foolish???? THe 2005 GTO will be faster than the 2005 Mustang GT.

I think I'll wait until we start to see them run at the track. The GTO is a VERY heavy ass car and will take at least 40RWHP more than the 05 GT to make it a close race. The 02 fbodies were your fast ls1 not the GTO.

We don't know yet if the 05 GT will be under rated like the Cobra's and Mach's my little 305hp Mach has about 330hp at the crank and seems that GM may have just put the new GTO's HP where it should have been in the newer F-bodies to me. :shrug:

Z28x said:
THe Cobra is $3K more than the GTO so you could use the same argument there.

A loaded 2004 GT coupe is MSRP $29,655, so it's MSRP only about $3K less than the GTO MSRP.

While someone looking for a RWD bargin will look to the base GT not the loaded GTO, the person looking loaded car will probably consider both.

2005 winner = GTO
Where are you coming up with your fictional prices for the Mustang GT? Also, your argument that the GTO will sell for MSRP proves my point that it IS a closer competitor with the Cobra, which can be bought for below MSRP, especially with the rebates currently offered on the 03's and rebates for the 04 are sure to follow. I don't know where you got your math skills, but the Cobra is only about $2000 more than the GTO. And I also don't think it will be that much faster, if at all. HP does not win races. :D

PACETTR said:
Where are you coming up with your fictional prices for the Mustang GT? Also, your argument that the GTO will sell for MSRP proves my point that it IS a closer competitor with the Cobra, which can be bought for below MSRP, especially with the rebates currently offered on the 03's and rebates for the 04 are sure to follow. I don't know where you got your math skills, but the Cobra is only about $2000 more than the GTO. And I also don't think it will be that much faster, if at all. HP does not win races. :D

I can buy a 2003 10th anniversary edition Cobra right this second for $32,500 before the D-plan. After D-plan it would be $30,000 even. That being said, the Cobra is actually LESS than the GTO.....Sorry.

PACETTR said:

My fictional price is from edmunds.com, it is the MSRP of a GT Premium coupe with all the options. Edmunds ges thier fictional prices from Ford.

Yes the avg GTO will sell closer to the price of the Cobra than the avg GT. GT will probably get discounted more, limited production high demand cars like the Cobra and GTO sell closer to MSRP. Last I checked the Cobra was still a Mustang, so again you are Comparing a mustang to a GTO. Sure the GTO is a little more luxury and better build quality, but the fact is it and the Stang are both 2+2 RWD V8 American coupes. While they aren't clones of each other, the GTO is the closest thing on the Market to a V8 Mustang.

THe GTO is 3600lbs. just like the '03/04 Cobra, the next Mustang GT is going to be heavier than the last. 50HP and 50tq should be enough for the GTO to overcome the 150lbs.+/- weight disatvantage. Lets not forget we are also talking about the '04 GTO that can already do a 13.5 or better. THe '05 is rumored to be bumped up to 400HP. In fact it has been reported that GM is testing LS2 GTO/Monaros down under right now. Since neither car is out yet all we can do is speculate, we don't know if the GT or GTO are underrated adn we don't know if the '05 GTO will be 400HP, but based on car specs and magizine reviews my money is on the GTO being faster in 2005. Fortunaty for us Mustang fans Ford has already said more niche and higher performance Mustangs will be out in the Future.

the GTO is a little more luxury and better build quality

First time I've heard GM and build quality in the same sentence :D

As far as the press release I saw the pig was close to 3800 lbs.

http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/04pontiacgto.html

The new GT is a tad over 3400 lbs and that's close to 400lbs. Want to bet the new GTO isn't overrated on HP this time? It's selling right in the price range of a Cobra out the door, In fact at first they claimed 340hp if I remember right.

Like I said sould be real interesting when the 3 valve comes out Ford got burnt in 99 and has learned it doesn't hurt to under rate engine power, it keeps the old insurance man out of your pocket too. :hail2:

Interesting, the 2 cars (GTO & 05 stang) are aimed at different markets and folks, but I think the car mags and folks like us will put them (as well as the vette, imports, etc...) in comparsion since the power and size is close... I mean we're already doing the STi's and Cobras and Vipers :)

I just saw an actually GTO on display yesterday. They are definitely not GrandAm (whew, step in the right direction) and much smaller than a Grand Prix. Definitely [much] smaller than a old LS1 F-body, when the mags made it look about the same size... I couldn't believed a car of that size weighs in at 3700+ lbs., but then again the current Cobras are closing in on that...

i thought we already decided that there will be no mach after 04?

anyway, if you think the GTO or anyother car hurts mustang sales you are wrong. thats like saying someone buying a box of cereal just hurt seafood sales by choosing to eat cereal, lets keep them in the same categories.

GTO is not a mustang competitor anymore than a cadillac or truck for that matter. different price brackets, target audience, etc etc. fact is GM does not have any direct comp for the stang right now, and for the last several years you could barely call the twins competition.

maybe GM or dodge will bring something back to compete that would be cool. but to say the GTO is gonna hurt mustang sales is as ignorant as believing that the 06 cobra will hurt vette sales.

LZR RED COBRA said:
i thought we already decided that there will be no mach after 04?

anyway, if you think the GTO or anyother car hurts mustang sales you are wrong. thats like saying someone buying a box of cereal just hurt seafood sales by choosing to eat cereal, lets keep them in the same categories.

GTO is not a mustang competitor anymore than a cadillac or truck for that matter. different price brackets, target audience, etc etc. fact is GM does not have any direct comp for the stang right now, and for the last several years you could barely call the twins competition.

maybe GM or dodge will bring something back to compete that would be cool. but to say the GTO is gonna hurt mustang sales is as ignorant as believing that the 06 cobra will hurt vette sales.

Your right about not competing as far as sales, GTO is too limited in production to hurt stang sales, I'd bet most GTO buyers will be former GM customer (GTP, Camaro, TransAm mostly). Lets not forget that the bulk of Mustang sales come from the V6 sales.

My main point is that they will mostly be competitors on the race track, sure the prices, spec, and feature are a little different but both are RWD V8 2+2 coupes of simalar size. There is no question they will be compared performance wise. It will be no different than WS6 owners talking smack to a GT owner, or Cobra vs. Z28 both cars a little different, but close enough to be compared

Where did you see it? I've been wanting to see one out of curiousity. I have not liked the photos I've seen. I think it looks too much like a Lumina or one of those Geo Storms GM used to make. I wish they had spent some time on the sheetmetal instead of using the Austalian Holden. The front face looks a lot like a GrandPrix.

I suppose it's a valid point that they will get compared to Mustangs but a more fair comparison is to a Cobra.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'd rather spend my money on something that is fast and looks good too, the Mustang get's my vote.