Windage tray, MAC or MPG

Hey my first post on here. I found an old thread on here about people having problems with the MAC windage tray fitting and was wondering if anybody has had any recent experiences. Im puting a stock style pan back on and I think the MAC and the MPG will fit under the stock pan. The MPG runs $100 and I can get the MAC on Ebay for $54 shipped. Im cheap and dont mind persuading it a little to save $50. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

My coupe has a Canton windage tray crank scraper. Put it in when the new pan was put on. No fitment issues.

No way in hell i'd put anything made by mac, inside the engine.
They make garbage to begin with, and if you have to take it out, it will be a nightmare because the oil pan doesn't come off with the engine in the car.

Either get the canton stuff or nothing.

Actually When my new oil pan was put on the engine was jacked up high enough that the oil pan could be removed...did the windage tray at that time...its a pita but it can be done.

Wow! guess I got what I paid for.Just figured a peice of sheetmetal couldnt vary to much between brands.The only experiance I have with MAC is Headers and an H pipe that I put on my 88GT about 20 years ago.No problems.Im a little impatient.Should of waited for replys before I orderd.

Wow! guess I got what I paid for.Just figured a peice of sheetmetal couldnt vary to much between brands.The only experiance I have with MAC is Headers and an H pipe that I put on my 88GT about 20 years ago.No problems.Im a little impatient.Should of waited for replys before I orderd.

I'm guessing you either don't have that car anymore or dont drive it much.
The cheap materials that mac uses burn from the inside out on exhaust products.
Leaving them with holes.
And the headers, 20 year old ones likely don't have a flange, so when you take them off, they don't go back on.

Yeah I sold it When I got married. Now after 13 years of wedded bliss the boss let me buy another. I guess the Mustang gods sent me a sign. Today I get a call from the shop I ordered the windage tray from. They tell me they are out of stock and cant get any more. So I guess Im shopping for a different brand.

I just relived the MAC nightmare with their windage tray on my 5.0 engine. Engine is on the stand and I suggest that anyone wanting to buy/install a MAC tray-install it while the engine is on the engine stand because doing it in the car would be a royal pain. It fits. But not without massaging. First off, the tray hits the pump so I had to clearance a little around the oil pump. Then just as I got it to fit, I attempted to bolt the pickup on. No luck. I actually had to beat the ever living crap out of the tray for the pickup tube to clear it. In doing that, all sorts of things happen. one, the scraper gains clearance and you'll have to readjust. Then I found that I had to remove some material around where the pickup goes onto the thrust main bolt. All said and done, I could do another one in about 4-5 hours.

Oh..almost forgot...I also had to beat the pan out in a few places as it hits the tray. Nothing too major (I hope) but it's got to be done for clearance or the pan hits.

After beating on things a little I double checked pan to pickup clearance and I had 1/4" with no gasket and 7/16" with the gasket. Actually it was .412" on one side of the pickup and .427" on the other-but close enough.

If I didn't already have the tray, I'd have gotten something else. I highly suggest spending a little extra for one that actually FITS.

Judging by the comments about MAC products, it appears that they're on par with GER torque converters & transmissions. Garbage on both accounts.

I've owned a few Mac products. Not one of them were quality. Even things like a throttle body that should "just work" they messed up.

With that said, you could probably build a tray out of a coat hanger, and it'd be better quality than the Mac.