windage trays-worth it on mild street engine?

NKau

Founding Member
Dec 15, 2001
Jefferson, WI
Post title pretty much says it all; just curious if how many guys run windage trays/crank scrapers on your typical bolt-on, h/c/i engines. Worth the $50 for a couple added hp and better oil control?

• Sponsors (?)

think about it... your asking if an extra $50 is worth 5-10 possible Hp... but you did pullies, or a throttle body, right? You probably hoped for 5-10 Hp and they were MORE than $50. if you get 7hp out of it, for $50, its worth it.

see my point ;)

N8Miller said:
think about it... your asking if an extra $50 is worth 5-10 possible Hp... but you did pullies, or a throttle body, right? You probably hoped for 5-10 Hp and they were MORE than $50. if you get 7hp out of it, for $50, its worth it.

see my point ;)

I guess I'm kind of curious what actual numbers I could expect. In all likelihood I'm just going to do a cheap backyard rebuild of my current 306 and put on the eddy rpm heads (1.90/1.60), and performer intake that have been laying in the basement for the last year as well as the 65mm tb, 75mm pro-m, 24 lb. inj., etc.

Figure with whatever cam I decide on, I should be in the 250-275 rwhp range. Is it reasonable to expect 3-5 HP from just a windage tray? I'd think it would be far more effective than pulleys or a cold-air kit ever could.............

very much so worth. Who knows, you may add on a vortech or nitrous and you will be glad you did it. I plan on having a bullet proof bottom end when I rebuild mine and it won't go over 300 hp or under 12.xx's in the 1/4. Piece of mind is worth it.

5.0L mag did a test to show how much hp one actually makes. they got 6 hp to the rear tire. mind you that was by removing 1 litre (quart) of oil thus simulating the windage tray at work. no 6 rear whell hp is well worth the 50 bucks.

Think of it like this:

Imagine a person waliking on the sidewalk at 3MPH.
Now imagine that same person walking through waist deep water at that same 3MPH. The person trying to walk through water will use more energy to maintain the same speed. The same idea can be applied to the windage tray. By making the motor turn easier you will get a benifit of extra horse power.

Another plus is that your oil will not be as airated (sp?) since the crank won't be splashing the oil all around.

srothfuss said:
Think of it like this:

Imagine a person waliking on the sidewalk at 3MPH.
Now imagine that same person walking through waist deep water at that same 3MPH. The person trying to walk through water will use more energy to maintain the same speed. The same idea can be applied to the windage tray. By making the motor turn easier you will get a benifit of extra horse power.

Another plus is that your oil will not be as airated (sp?) since the crank won't be splashing the oil all around.

good anology :nice:

Would I pull a motor to install one...NO but if I had the motor out I would consider one for sure, along with a nice 7qt pan.