Window Frame Fading, what can be done?

Black331Stang

Apr 29, 2003
Long Island, NY
i was debating over tech or talk but if its in teh worng spot please move it.

Anyway, i got a pic to explain the exact piece...theres roof rail molding that can be replaced, window trim that cam be but my window frame is all faded and white ad its part of the door..it looks gross. in the pic, alot of it is wax but its faded pretty bad. After this my car will look sweet but its killing the looks now. Anyone know what can be done to get it back to original besides Painting it...is it supposed to be a grayish black or dark black?? could someone powdercoat it??? i just dont want it to be a shiney paint like the rest of the car. Thanks for any help.

attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I went over your photo carefully and this is what I find. Please bare with me on stuff I know you already mentioned can be replaced, I just don't want to be miss-understood in my explanation.

OK, the trim that runs along the roof above the door and down along the A-pillars can be replaced with a new one either from FORD or an aftermarket place like 50resto. I think it's called roof rail molding. From FORD it's about $40 EACH side. Or you can take it off, sand it, paint it with black trim paint, sand it again, and paint one last coat. Paint as many times until you get a good coat.

The molding along the bottom of the window along the sill of the door is called door-sill belt molding. Again $40 each side from FORD, or paint like the roof rail molding method. There's a screw in the upper inside lip of the door. Simple unscrew that, loosen the bolts on the mirror and it just slides out.

NOW, that window frame it looks like you're pointing to that needs work. When the car came from the factory there should have been some kind of aluminium/plastic material encasing the window frame area with a grove in it running along the contours of window frame. This is what I think they call "window channel runners". I can't tell if you still have them on, or if someone else took them off and just left the bare metal from underneith to show. If not, in order to "snap off" the old channel runners, you'll have to take off the inner door panel completely. That way you can get to all the points where the channel runners attach themselves to the door. New ones will run you $40-70 each and I think they just snap back on. Someone said they just used a putty knife or a flathead screwdriver to take them off.

in that last paragraph are u talking about the rubbery surround that goes around the window??? because thats called window frame moulding...my problem lies On the Window frame itself. i pretty sure its part of the door and cant be removed or replaced. lemme know if thats what u were thinking of. thanks

i just noticed that 50resto has exterior trim/moulding paint..i guess i can do the best i can and then give the body shop a can and they can do the good job on it when it gets painted in a few years lol.....anyone else have more ideas? liek what i mentioned
b4 about powdercoating?

JadeFalcon said:
I used cheap ass flat black and it looks fantastic, didnt even bother to sand.

:stupid: I bought some cheap $1 a can flat black paint from wal mart and sanded, primered and painted it and it looks like it came from the factory.. Just make sure you get the mirrors and all the other trim around it

Nope, I was talking about the window frame itself. Open the door and look at where the frame meets with the door. You can plainly see a seam between the sheet metal of the door and the metal channel runner of what you want to paint.

Take a look at the 50resto website. They have a breakdown of how the door and it's moldings are put together. I'm almost certain that can be purchased new.

The sil moulding can be dyed while still on the car. It is a plastic / vinyl dye.

1. Clean with tooth brush. Get all the wax and dirt off.
2. Tape off paint area under sil moulding with painters tape.
3. Dye using Griots garage plastic dye. This stuff really works. I dye mine once per year.
4. Remove tape

TIP: Keep wax off of dark plastics. Wax works its way into the plastic micro valleys and is hard to get off. Plus it shows up white against a black background.

Mine trim was green and white faded. looked like crud. Now it's black and beautiful. I think it was about 20 bucks....

Anyways, if your looking for a cost driven solution, 20 bucks for a container of dye (that has lasted me for 3 years)....worth the money.

Idwitheld-1` said:
The sil moulding can be dyed while still on the car. It is a plastic / vinyl dye.

1. Clean with tooth brush. Get all the wax and dirt off.
2. Tape off paint area under sil moulding with painters tape.
3. Dye using Griots garage plastic dye. This stuff really works. I dye mine once per year.
4. Remove tape

TIP: Keep wax off of dark plastics. Wax works its way into the plastic micro valleys and is hard to get off. Plus it shows up white against a black background.

Mine trim was green and white faded. looked like crud. Now it's black and beautiful. I think it was about 20 bucks....

Anyways, if your looking for a cost driven solution, 20 bucks for a container of dye (that has lasted me for 3 years)....worth the money.

that stuff rocks. I just applied it, looks brand new. thanks !