Windshield install - specific question

Red5oh

Jul 8, 2005
DFW, Texas
I looked all through the web and archives... and I have a very specific question.

I am installing my rear glass first in a 67, and I have put the non-hardening sealant in the weatherstrip and placed it on the glass first. Now I am supposed to install the glass in the car. Some folks have said to put the sealant first, others after install.

Which works better??? this stuff is NASTY and sticky and a general mess. From what I could see, it might be better to install the glass, then put the sealant on covering the seal between the body and the gasket. BUT, this stuff is the non-hardening version, so will it leak?

Looking for opinions, but if I have to put it on first.. I can only imagine what a total mess this will be trying to keep the new headliner clean.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I put mine on after for the very reasons you stated. A local glass shop did my buddies '64 Nova II and he put the sealer on first, then when it leaked, he added more sealer to the outside. I say why not just add it to the outside afterwards in the first place?

I used some blue painters tape to cover the area around the window.
The put the sealent in the rubber groove, then place the draw string in from the lower left side over the top to the lower right corner.

Then slide the bottom rubber lip over the metal edge of the opening.
While your helper holds slight pressure on the outside of the glass, pull the string and the rubber will slip over the lip without too much mess,
then remove the tape.

No leaks yet! :)

Yeah, but you had the tape on the headliner? Or not? I was worried about that because I was amazed how sticky this stuff was and almost impossible to clean up. I have some on the glass and its even hard to get off of there.

ok... I started with the rear window and I got it in this weekend.

Now, the question is, when the window is in there (even with the nasty goop), the bottom of it seems loose... the rest of the window fits tight, but the bottom moves about 1/8" if you press on it (again, displacing the goop). I figured I will add the goop around the outside next to the body, but I was wondering if this was normal?

Do I also expect it on the windshield?

i found the same thing on my coupe, i guessed it was the aftermarket gasket. i used a thin bead of window butyl on the outside of the gasket, next to the pinchweld (this was after almost a whole can of the non hardening salant) good news is i have no leaks now

Exactly what non hardening sealer did you use, I had my windsheild "proffessionally" installed about 2 years ago, and have been fighting with a minor leak ever since.
It only leaks in a driving rain which I do try to avoid, but it is still enough to make me crazy. if I can add some sealer now I'll give it a try
gtss

ok... I started with the rear window and I got it in this weekend.

Now, the question is, when the window is in there (even with the nasty goop), the bottom of it seems loose... the rest of the window fits tight, but the bottom moves about 1/8" if you press on it (again, displacing the goop). I figured I will add the goop around the outside next to the body, but I was wondering if this was normal?

Do I also expect it on the windshield?

Did you reinstall the interior trim peices?
they clamp the rubber down.

On the rear window, there are no trim pieces to be installed on the inside. The front will have the pillar trim. Are these the pieces you are referring to?

I think I will be adding some more sealant to the outside of the window under the chrome pieces, and that should stop any/all leaks... at least it should... its nasty enough!

By non-hardening they mean that it doesn’t get ridged. It will cure and not be runny or sticky anymore but will remain flexible.

Hardening types of sealers would be used to attach the frame or trim to your door glass.

I just installed my windshield and rear window and I gotta say "thank you" to pabear89 for the blue painters tape trick. :hail2:
That is a stoke of genious! I've installed winshields before but when I read his post I was in the finishing stages of my 66 so I thought I'd give it a try. Man it worked great! I did do one thing slightly different though, I didn't use rope but I used a flat head screwdriver instead. I placed the bottom grove of the weatherstripping into the body (all full of windshield sealer) and then had my helper put slight presure on the outside of the windshield while I used the screw driver to get under the lip of the weather stripping and pull it over the body seam. This way I was able to not pull very much goop through and the sealer acted as a lube so the weather stripping didn't tear. All in all there was little mess and the tape protected the headliner (and outside since I used it there as well). Thanks for the great tip!:nice: