Windshield removal?

VTStang66

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2001
Rockwall, TX
I learned a couple days ago from another thread that in order to do my full floor pan I will need to remove my windshield. I was going to do it anyway because it's all scratched up. So how do I do it? I searched around on here and the internet a little but I didn't find any good early mustang-specific info. The first step is, how do I get that trim off? Do I need to buy a special tool?

Does anybody have a link handy to a good site or article for the rest? It's a '66 fastback if that matters.

• Sponsors (?)

THe trim his held on with snap clips:
View attachment 343605

You'll need to gently slide the trim in a direction away from the windhield to remove the molding. The trim is fragile and probably held in place with seam sealer as well. Once the trim is off, you'll need a utility knife to cut out the exterior of the windshield gasket. Once you have cut completely around the perimeter of the gasket, GENTLY push out on the windshield from the inside until it's out. Use a second person to help here and don't push in one spot too hard as the glass too is fragile. Take you time.

It may be difficult to lift the corners enough to slide it off. THey snap into the mouldijng clips. THe removal tool will help, but it take some practice. THe moulding tool has a sharp point that you slide under the moulding, then catch the edge of the moulding clip and pry it back away from the piller, towards the center of the glass. It only needs to move a fraction. Enough to let the moulding come up out of the clip. And if original, will be PACKED with solid goop. THe trick is to NOT lift up on the free edge that lays on the rubber windshield gasket. Push down, pry back on the clip, gently lift the corner with a plastic tool. Once you get a corner started, the rest are easy (sort of...)
Some come off easy, and others are just tight enough to make you scream as loud as possible... :) I'll see if I can find the tool. From Eastwood - www.eastwoodco.com
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2501&itemType=PRODUCT

Attachments

• p538.jpg
    p538.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 76