Windshield Replacement

Red66GT

Jul 14, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I recently had a little rock hit the bottom drivers corner of the windshield, and it left a bb sized hole w/ webbing around. That was a couple weeks ago, and while I was washing the car today I noticed it had spread quite a bit. It now looks like a hairline crack about 18 inches long from top to bottom!!!

I was wondering what to expect as far as cost goes to replace the windshield on a 97 GT. Just curious what some of you guys spent (windshield and installation)before I call around, so I know if these glass shops quote me a good price or not.

• Sponsors (?)

A ford replacement will be 600-700. If you ever get a chip, take it and get it repaired right away. The ins. company will pick up the whole tab w/o a deductible. They would rather pay $40 for a repair rather than 400 for a new one 2 months later. The ins. company will pay for a new on also if you have a low deduct. do that. It can't raise your premium because it is a freak accident kinda like a deer hit. At least this is the way it is with mine.

Be careful where you get your winshields...they also make knock offs from china. You have to look through the winshield at different angles and make sure you don't get any type of distortions. It just like regular reading glasses i.e.20/20, 20/30. Thats why the dealer is so much because you get 20/20 all around.

Try going to junkyards you might get a better deal you just have to get a good glass cleaning kit and it will be good as new. Tips from I got from an old mechanic friend who ran his own glass shop.