Windshield Wiper Operation Question

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Hoping someone can help quick. Vehicle in question is a 2010 Equinox belonging to the girlfriend.

Tonight on her way home from work, it was raining pretty heavy. She had the wipers going on hi and all of a sudden they stopped in the up position. I went out to meet her...the bolts holding the arms onto the pivot are secure. Can hear the wiper motor whirring when the switch is on. The arms can move freely.

Is this an issue with the linkage between the motor and arms, or is the motor toast? More rain expected through the weekend so hoping I can take care of this for her soon.

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Today I managed to crack into it and see what was going on. The wiper motor is certainly functional...but the arm that connects the linkage assembly to the motor had come off the motor shaft. I snapped it back on, put everything back together, and tried the wipers. They worked.....for a few sweeps. Then I heard that arm pop off the shaft again.

Tore back into it, snapped the arm back on...but this time I just put the wiper arms back on to test before putting everything back together. Same result...a few sweeps and the arm popped off. I thought maybe putting some grease on the pivot stud would help, but I was wrong.

I took a trip to the Chevy dealer and they said the only fix is to buy the whole wiper transmission assembly. Grrr....$179 just because a quarter-sized plastic bushing doesn't hold anymore.