Windshield Wiper Problems

BlackGT89

Dec 16, 2002
Huntsville, AL
Problem: Wipers quit working on intermitent at first, then stopped working on low altogether, only worked on high. Finally they wouldn't even work on high. I noticed yesterday before they quit they were moving really jerky on low. I did a search but didn't find any definitive answers.

Anyone had these symptoms and found a definate fix for it ? I'm suspecting the 15 year old wiper motor, but I just want to have some idea before I shell out $70 for a new one. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Possible problem with the interval relay being loose in its socket.

Check the multifunction switch and the connector - they will overheat and get intermittent. Note that 87-89 switches will interchange only with 87-89 year cars. The same is true that 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars.

Just a follow up for the record, especially if someone else does a search on this subject in the future (like I did with no results), turns out it was the wiper motor dying out. Now it all makes sense, as the motor got weaker it stopped working in intermittent, then in low speed, and then eventually high speed finally gave out. I discovered if I gave them a nudge they would operate for a while. I got a rebuild from Autozone (limited lifetime war. & in stock) for $70, not too cheap, but better than trying to drive in the monsoons with no wipers.